• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used this for the first time on a friends PC, really handy, but I have two suggestions:

1) You need to include a firewall, and the best seems to be Comodo. If someone is using this to set up the security on their PC, they have everything minus a decent firewall 9Comodo is far superior to XP's own, and even Vista's).

2) Now I can understand if you wouldn't want to do this, but expanding the Utilities section could be great. Particularly with 7Zip, VLC and Real/Quicktime Alternative etc.

And finally, a link to Windows Updates? And how come CWShredder and About:Buster not in the application section?

• Administrator

1.) Sure, I can add Comodo. While I don't see a need for it to be part of any package (meaning it will be unchecked), I'll add it under Recommended.

2.) I can understand the desire to add those items, however they are not necessary for the primary purpose of this program. I've aimed this mainly at helping users easily get the files they need to clean their computers.

Just getting more information, but why do you ask for a link to Windows Update? It's integrated into IE and can also be found via the Start Menu.

CWShredder and About:Buster aren't really necessary anymore. Plus, MBAM tends to detect them quickly and remove them.

1 - Did you just do that and so it updated my software? Or has it always been like that and I just didn't notice? I really do think it is needed (at leats ticked), its a firewall, one of the most important parts of security!

2 - Understandable. Though I think Unlocker should be added.

Some people don't use IE. Some may have deleted the shortcut. Its just pretty important, that's all.

Why does MBAM remove them? How are they not really necessary? If they're not at all, why not remove them?

• Administrator

Yep, I added it when I made the post. Every time you load the Anti-Malware Toolkit, it gets the data from Lunarsoft and populates the list.

I understand that the firewall is important, but not everyone is capable of using one. Users can get annoyed by them. Also, since there are two versions (32 and 64 bit) I cannot let it be checked by default.

I can add Unlocker. Thanks for the idea!

MBAM removes a lot of malware, though I keep CWShredder and AboutBuster there in case a technician or user wants to use them to double check.

Man, that is cool.

Hmm, anyways, you could get LunarDownloader to check to see if the PC is 32 or 64 bit and thus let it choose the correct version?

Unlocker is a good way of cleaning certain files, so it seems appropriate.

Oh, I see, I thought you meant MBAM gets rid of CWShredder and AboutBuster! Doh!

Guest SharedHolder

How about an ''Web 2.0'' Codec & Plugins Downloader:

- Adobe Air

- Adobe Flash Player

- Shockwave player

- Microsoft Silverlight

- DivX Web Player

- StreamPlug hxxp://www.cedelia.com

And a ''Codec Downloader'' :

- FFDShow

- QuickTime Alternative

- Real Alternative

- DirectVobSub

- Media Player Classic

And btw, try to get rid of .Net Framework (if is possible )

:)

Not to start this rant, but it's Tarun's perrogative to use whatever coding language he wishes. I personally see no problem with the .NET framework. The executables are small, quick, and easy to code. It would be far more difficult to write and update the program if he were working with C++/MFC. Believe you me... you don't want to go there.

Not to start this rant, but it's Tarun's perrogative to use whatever coding language he wishes. I personally see no problem with the .NET framework. The executables are small, quick, and easy to code. It would be far more difficult to write and update the program if he were working with C++/MFC. Believe you me... you don't want to go there.

As a user, I find it annoying that developers use .NET because it requires those large run-time files (.NET Framework).

As a developer, I agree with you. C++ with MFC is really ugly. C# with WindowsForms is much nicer to work with.

Some new suggestions. An update link would be cool, but I'm not sure how that would happen.

But I am also thinking, it would be really cool to have 2 links at the bottom on either side (like CCleaner), one for Update this Program or Check for Updates, and the other linking to Installation Guide or Guide (READ FIRST in brackets maybe). You know a guide like a combination of your PC Maintenance and PC Security guides? That would be really cool, with screenshots and all. I know you have the links under the Links tab, but at the bottom with READ ME first and a combo of both would be better.

EDIT: Even if the above sounds a bit mad (I went through the guides, pretty explanatory!), I think it would be wise to add StartUpLite to the lications list. There have been times when I clear up other peoples PC's, and I have bene unsure what to delete or not in the startup, so that would be really useful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How about offering ATF Cleaner as an alternative choice to CCleaner. Especially in the case of Novice Users, its Free and it does cover all three browsers IE7, Opera, and Firefox. , its only short fall being it is not compatible with Windows Vista. Here is a description and details http://majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html and its HomePage, http://www.atribune.org/index.php?option=c...5&Itemid=25

Guest John Burton

I've been a user of InstallPad in the past, and while it downloads and installs programs, the location of download isn't as quickly/obviously set as AMTKit. I guess my one suggestion would be to add the option to install everything that's downloaded.

Oh, and much like my request for InstallPad, I'd like the option to check if there is a newer version than one already existing in the download folder, and then install the "network" version if there's no newer one, instead of copying it locally.

Generally, I'd use a tool like this to check for new versions and download them to a network folder, but if the folder contains all the updated utils, I'd like an option to install without downloading to my local drive.

I'm sure this is reading beyond the original scope of the tool (nicely done as it is), but just in case you're looking for suggestions for new features.

Very well done so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

John, I apologize for the delay in replying to your post.

Many of these things have been considered and are on the to do list. This is my first C# application, so some of the more advanced features will take longer to learn and implement. Nonetheless, you are not going unheard. :)

• Administrator

In my opinion, JKDefrag is a bit more advanced and not very user friendly. I've had a few people say it was a bit intimidating from the lack of a commonly familiar GUI.

Tarun not sure you got this in a Pm from me here is another Defragger that is open source, Ultra Defragmenter Version 1.3.4

HomePage: http://ultradefrag.sourceforge.net/

Download: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=199532

Article with screenshot: http://www.themadfatter.com/2008/02/11/ult...ag-alternative/

UltraDefrag has the following features:

* Very fast defragmentation, the work is done via a kernel mode driver which has an optimal defraging algorithm.

* Very small engine written in pure C.

* Nice graphical interface - compact and functional.

* Safety, because the file moving is accomplished with Microsoft's own Defrag API.

* Simple to use.

* Ability to generate html reports of fragmentation status.

* Ability to include/exclude files based on simple filters.

* Native x64 support.

* Free: Distributed with full source code under the GNU General Public License.

Yeah it looks like its easy to use,but I myself have never tried it. It may be another option in choosing a defragmenter that fits your protocol for the Anti-MalwareToolKit. Plus you used it so You have first hand knowledge.

Hi,

This looks like an awesome product, with all the applications out there, tracking them and lkeeping them updated is a real nightmare.

I just want to ask for a feature please. I haven't seen options for it anywhere, it may be that I'm just not looking hard enough.

Proxy support. I can't use this at work, because we work through an authenticaing proxy on a windows domain.

Thanks so much

What kind of community push would it take to get at least SHA-1 (GPG if at all possible) signatures from the vendors (and verify them with AMT)?

• Administrator

Unfortunately you should consider the mass amount of work that would go into that sort of thing. It makes it harder to update things for many items that do not provide SHA-1, MD5 or similar on their website.