a-squared and Spyware Doctor

Capman

Looking for comments on a-squared and Spyware Doctor, never used these before tonight, thought I would give them a try after seeing them mentioned on CCleaner forums.

Done the usual scans of MSAS, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and ewido, then ran a-squared and Spyware Doctor.

However, a-squared seemed to through up 1 false positive, and Spyware Doctor threw up 8.

At least I think they were false positives, this is what they said were bad:

Found by A squared

igfxtray.exe Trojan-Dropper.Win32.Paradrop.a (I don't believe igfxtray.exe is a trojan).

Found by Spyware Doctor

Affiliated with Browser Hijackers C:Documents and SettingsOwnerFavorites~on the run - miniclip.com.url

Common Components for WindUpdates HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExtStats{15AD6789-CDB4-47E1-A9DA-992EE8E6BAD6}

Common Components for WindUpdates HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExtStats{15AD6789-CDB4-47E1-A9DA-992EE8E6BAD6}iexplore

Fast Video Player Dialer HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExtStats{B5DD9A64-5C4B-4A48-BE56-97C1A8F85708}

Fast Video Player Dialer HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExtStats{B5DD9A64-5C4B-4A48-BE56-97C1A8F85708}iexplore

YourSiteBar HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExtStats{42F2C9BA-614F-47C0-B3E3-ECFD34EED658}

YourSiteBar HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExtStats{42F2C9BA-614F-47C0-B3E3-ECFD34EED658}iexplore

SahAgent C:Program FilesSerifCalendarPlusProgramCalendarPlus.exe

After seeing the above I did a HJT scan, which was OK.

• Administrator

igfxtray.exe is an Intel based graphics chipset.

Google igfxtray.exe shows a lot of results. You can check ProcessLibrary (recommended) and LI-Utilities (also recommended) when checking any questionable *.exe or *.dll items.

I never saw what was so great about Spyware Doctor either. A user doesn't need an overwhelming number of malware removal tools bogging down their system. That's as bad as having the malware itself. A few of the truly excellent ones (found in my Anti Malware Packages!) are all a user would really need. Best of all they are free. So why pay for shareware like Spyware Doctor, when MSAS, Spybot and Ad-Aware can do the job.

I've been using a-squared free for a few months, I haven't had any false positives. Haven't had any positives at all, actually, since I've been using Firefox I rarely get any malware. :D

A-squared has a support forum, maybe you should post about your suspected false positive on it.