Thanks for responding. I know my pc has been on a downhill path for the past year . . . it's had a lot of problems during that time. It's a workhorse and gets almost constant use (even while I'm sleeping, I have it processing data) and it's 4 years old. I've been holding it together with bandaids for a while now. I have everything backed up to an external hard drive.
Yesterday, I downloaded hdtune_252 and ran the 3 tests.:
Benchmark Test: Transfer Rate . . . 2.4Mb/sec, Maximuj 54.1Mb/sec, Average 43.6 Mb/sec, Access Time: 15.0 ms, Burst Rate 78.2Mb/sec, CPU Usage 15.0%
Error Scan (Slow): 1 box (15Mb) bad
Health: All was "OK" except for Reallocated Sector Count: Current=253, Worst=253, Threshold=63, Data=1.
I know the Reallocated Sector Count is poor and I don't think a reinstallation of Windows will help, or even a reformat.
Something happened to my pc within the past week and within the past week, I installed Dial-A-Fix v 0.60.0.24 and IE7. It may be IE7 that's causing the problem or something else. I run a lot of spyware/adware/malware programs so I know I don't have a virus or trojan.
Dial-A-Fix is a great program. I used it often. I limit it to flushing DNS (easier than going into ipconfig) and Processing Idle Tasks now, which is worth it's weight in gold for my pc.
Thanks for the program and for your advice.