Oh yeah, you can configure NoScript to block Java (and Flash) too, almost forgot about that. Oh well, still won't have Java enabled, no site use it anyways.

Yes, the "Scan computer memory" thing, is a very nice feature. It's pretty quick. It was introduced in version 0.88.5 I believe.

You can scan the memory from the command line too using "clamscan --memory".

Thanks! Im gonna give Clammy a test run... AVG Free has been my bread and butter for years but im looking for something smaller if filesize. I hope its as fast as AVG Free.

AVG Free is faster than ClamAV/ClamWin. AVG Free is pretty nice though, I've used it, definitely one of the best antivirus software. Most antivirus software sucks though, heh.

ClamWin doesn't have a real-time shield, so it's not really a replacement for AVG. Avast is a smaller file (at least, it's a smaller download), but it uses somewhat more resources than AVG.

ClamWin, because it has no real-time protection, can be installed alongside another AV as a backup scanner, without any interference - that wouldn't be saving space, though.

What I disliked about avast, is that;

* Even though its freeware it still requires a license key, which is an unique identifier and is bad for privacy.

* Security software with skins is toyish.

I don't think the key is enough a big issue for you not to sue great software, surely?

Just disable the skins then. They're there for people who want em, if you don't, don't use them.

Your points aren't enough to justify why not to use Avast.

• 4 weeks later...

Installed the new version, as per their FAQ - right over the top of the previous install. Went without a hitch, still have all my customized filters.

One change is intended to make it faster:

Added new option to scan MS Windows Executable files only in order to improve scanning speed. This option is in the "Advanced" tab and is turned on by default.

Seems to work, knocked about a minute off the "memory" scan.

<edit> Updates a lot faster, too.

• 1 month later...

I've heard a lot of good things about ClamWin. Though I don't use it. What's all the complaints about Avast! with the skins and adding such stupid opinions to not using it? I swear the Ccleaner forums always complains about how the skins are useless and not having the (Scheduling feature) there. He says AVG is faster at scanning and is less on memory usage. That may be true but Avast! has Real-Time-Protection. Surely yes some of the Shields are somewhat useless but they're there just in case. I have used AVG in the past and I couldn't get it to update a lot. Kept getting errors. That was when I didn't know about Avast!. Anyhow, I may give ClamWin a go.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

I'm quite sure you can use the Task Scheduler to set up automated scanning for viruses. And you can always schedule a boot-time scan which works far better than scanning from within Windows.

The skins can quite easily be disabled. Do a custom install and you never install any of the skinning. How easy! :hello: A little brainpower goes a long way, just have to watch out for those "self-proclaimed technicians".

I know AVG antivirus was bad due to numerous experiences with it; including my best friend who kept getting viruses and trojans. I had him switch to avast when I worked on his computer and he never had a virus since.