Convert All My Software To Freeware

Anti-Spyware: SpywareBlaster, Spybot - Search and Destroy, Windows Defender

Anti-Virus: Avast Home Edition

Browser: Firefox

CD/DVD Burning: AVStoDVD, InfraRecorder

Disk Management: NCleaner, Disk Defragmenter (Included in Windows)

File-Sharing: Frostwire, BitTorrent

Firewall: Comodo Free Firewall

FTP: FileZilla

Graphics: Paint.NET

Instant Messenger: Windows Live Messenger with A-Patch

Media Player/Codecs: Windows Media Player 11 (audio and streaming videos), VLC Media Player (downloaded videos)

Office: Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise or OpenOffice

PC Visuals: XPize or Vize

Technical Tools: Dial-a-fix, HijackThis,Unlocker

Utilities: 7Zip, Dizzy, Foxit Reader

Web Program: Notepad ++

Only Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise costs money from the list above though you can use OpenOffice as an alternative.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I'd get rid of all the codec packs. K-Lite has QTLite and QT Alternative, which are illegal. They had to remove QT Alternative from their pack. Vista Codec Pack is very good though. :hello:

FTP: Filezilla

IM: Trillian, Miranda or Pidgin.

Office: OpenOffice

Utilities: Foxit PDF Reader

File compression: IZarc

It is a noble goal (I think) to convert all your software into open source software.

However, freeware is not open source. Freeware is a loosely applied term for software that don't cost any money. Most freeware are proprietary software with the source code closed.

Open source refers to software which the source code is available to the public. Read how the Open Source Definition at the Open Source Initiative's (OSI) website to understand open source.

You talk about wanting to turn away from "paid-for software", but there are actually some open source software which does cost money. Open source is not about price, its about the availability of the source code, so it should not be confused with freeware which is software which is gratis to use.

Also, not that "free software" is not the same as freeware. "Free software" is a term, that mostly refers to the free software definition by the Free Software Foundation (FSF). Free software and open source is practically mostly the same, but free software has a stronger focus on end-user freedom.

Recommended reading is;

* http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

* http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd

* http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/

FOSS (free open source software) alternatives to proprietary/non-free software.

CD/DVD: InfraRecorder.

Codecs: Actually, with VLC media player and Media Player Classic (MPC), I play anything, I've thrown at it so far, I think without need install any additional codecs.

File sharing: DC++, eMule, Shareaza.

FTP: FileZilla.

Graphics: Paint.NET, GIMP (GIMP 2.4 is expected to come soon).

Instant Messenger: Miranda IM, Pidgin, aMSN.

Media Player: VLC media player, Media Player Classic (MPC)

Office: OpenOffice.org.

• Administrator

Cheers for the lists.

Tarun - what should I use instead of it?

Still, I can't help that some suggestions aren't as good as what I good, but I'm still looking into it (like Office).

Also, will VLC and MPC play streaming videos (like QT) online?

Hm, could have sworn I commented on another codec pack. The Vista Codec Pack. :hello:

VLC has plugins you can install for Firefox and IE also, I believe.

• Administrator

VLC doesn't work for FF, I've tried before.

Ah, but it does. I remember using it now from using it with Fx before. You can also check the Features - Miscellaneous where it says it supports both Mozilla/Firefox plugin and ActiveX plugin in IE.

Vista Codec Pack works on XP?

Sure does. I'm using it and have it installed now to try it out.

• 4 weeks later...

It is a noble goal (I think) to convert all your software into open source software.

However, freeware is not open source. Freeware is a loosely applied term for software that don't cost any money. Most freeware are proprietary software with the source code closed.

Open source refers to software which the source code is available to the public. Read how the Open Source Definition at the Open Source Initiative's (OSI) website to understand open source.

You talk about wanting to turn away from "paid-for software", but there are actually some open source software which does cost money. Open source is not about price, its about the availability of the source code, so it should not be confused with freeware which is software which is gratis to use.

Also, not that "free software" is not the same as freeware. "Free software" is a term, that mostly refers to the free software definition by the Free Software Foundation (FSF). Free software and open source is practically mostly the same, but free software has a stronger focus on end-user freedom.

Recommended reading is;

* http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

* http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd

* http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/

FOSS (free open source software) alternatives to proprietary/non-free software.

CD/DVD: InfraRecorder.

Codecs: Actually, with VLC media player and Media Player Classic (MPC), I play anything, I've thrown at it so far, I think without need install any additional codecs.

FTP: FileZilla.

Graphics: Paint.NET, GIMP (GIMP 2.4 is expected to come soon).

Instant Messenger: Miranda IM, Pidgin, aMSN.

Media Player: VLC media player, Media Player Classic (MPC)

Office: OpenOffice.org.

I've been reading p on all of this. very, very interesting. It has made try and convert to Linux.

Tarun, why should I use Foxit, it isn't open-source. Also, VLC won't let me play Quicktime online.

Anti-Spyware: Ad-Aware SE Personal, SpywareBlaster, Spybot - Search and Destroy

Anti-Virus/Firewall: Outpost Security Suite Pro

CD/DVD Burning: ConvertXtoDVD, Daemon Tools, Magic DVD Ripper/Copier, Nero Burning ROM

Codecs: Vista Codec Pakage

Disk Management: NCleaner, Disk Cleanup (Included in Windows), Disk Defragmenter (Included in Windows)

File-Sharing: Frostwire, uTorrent

Media Player: Windows Media Player 11 (audio and streaming videos), VLC Media Player (downloaded videos)

Office: Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise

PC Visuals: XPize

Technical Tools: Avira UnErase Personal, Dial-a-fix, HijackThis, UPHClean Unlocker

Utilities: Dizzy, Foxit Reader, IZarc, Tweak UI

Only the following cost money from the list above; Outpost Security Suite Pro, ConvertXtoDVD, Magic DVD Ripper/Copier and Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise.

New list. I could do with alternatives to:

Everest Ultimate Ediiton

TuneUp Utilities

I tried Pidgin, I still prefer MSN with A-Patch, as it also supports Yahoo contacts in the same application, wihtout having to make YIM profile.

I'm going to use Outpost till it expires, then back to free versions (what are the current best freeware versions for firewall and antivirus)?

I can't find any decent free versions for CD/DVD copying.

And as much as I want to, MS 2007 is still far better than OpenOffice. Too much so for me to drop it, especially with uni coming up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, basically, I would like my software to be free, as properly in the sense of free to own and open-source, but I know for all software thats hard, so if not that, at least freeware.

I've already got Foxit, is the other much better?

Problem with your suggestions is that neither allow YIM contacts to be run through the MSN protocol, as I have many YIM contacts in some of MSN account. I did try creating a new YIM account, but when I went to add contacts, it came up wiht an error (in Pidgin).

I'll have a look at InfraRcorder, though I've got a feeling I've used it before. I've got a minor problem with my PC, my DVD drive isn't being picked up by all programs when I slip a blank DVD/CD in, and so far only Nero Burning ROM Portable Edition, and the others I've listed accept it. I still can't find decent free DVD rippers.

Frostwire is free, and though uTorrent isn't.

I've already got Foxit, is the other much better?

Problem with your suggestions is that neither allow YIM contacts to be run through the MSN protocol, as I have many YIM contacts in some of MSN account. I did try creating a new YIM account, but when I went to add contacts, it came up wiht an error (in Pidgin).

I'll have a look at InfraRcorder, though I've got a feeling I've used it before. I've got a minor problem with my PC, my DVD drive isn't being picked up by all programs when I slip a blank DVD/CD in, and so far only Nero Burning ROM Portable Edition, and the others I've listed accept it. I still can't find decent free DVD rippers.

Frostwire is free, and though uTorrent isn't.

I never tried Foxit PDF, so I don't know. But I am satisfied with Sumatra PDF, its very quick, fast and lightweight. It has the advantage (imho), of being open source, which Foxit is not.

I used InfraRecorder with a Samsung SH-183 DVD burner to burn the Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty Fawn" ISO. Also used on a laptop to burn another ISO.

I never used any DVD rippers, as I never felt I had the need to.

An open source alternative to uTorrent is ABC and the official BitTorrent client.

CD/DVD Burning: ConvertXtoDVD, Daemon Tools, Magic DVD Ripper/Copier, Nero Burning ROM

Disk Management: NCleaner, Disk Cleanup (Included in Windows), Disk Defragmenter (Included in Windows)

Media Player: Windows Media Player 11 (audio and streaming videos), VLC Media Player (downloaded videos)

Technical Tools: Avira UnErase Personal, Dial-a-fix, HijackThis, UPHClean Unlocker

Only the following cost money from the list above; Outpost Security Suite Pro, ConvertXtoDVD, Magic DVD Ripper/Copier and Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise.

Everest Ultimate Ediiton

TuneUp Utilities

I tried Pidgin, I still prefer MSN with A-Patch, as it also supports Yahoo contacts in the same application, wihtout having to make YIM profile.

I'm going to use Outpost till it expires, then back to free versions (what are the current best freeware versions for firewall and antivirus)?

And as much as I want to, MS 2007 is still far better than OpenOffice. Too much so for me to drop it, especially with uni coming up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, basically, I would like my software to be free, as properly in the sense of free to own and open-source, but I know for all software thats hard, so if not that, at least freeware.

So, thoughts anyone?

Everest Ultimate Ediiton

TuneUp Utilities

So, thoughts anyone?

My thought are that, its a surprisingly small amount of free open source software on that list considering thats what you're aiming for.

• Administrator

After reading about open-source more in-depth, I most definitely want to turn all my paid-for software to decent reeware.

I'm also interested in open-source stuff, but in particular freeware.

My thought are that, its a surprisingly small amount of free open source software on that list considering thats what you're aiming for.

Seems to me that he has accomplished his goal and gotten a lot of freeware.

Check this out: Top Freeware Picks

http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

Gives lots of alternatives.

Hmm, not the greatest of lists, doesn't even show some of the stuff Tarun recommends.

It's not an all-inclusive list by any means, it's MajorGeeks recommendations. I know Tarun has some different ones - I said these were alternatives. I don't agree with all of them myself, actually - Duplicate Cleaner, for instance; dangerous thing to mess around with, I wouldn't have included it.

I thought you might find some of what you're still looking for there, like an alternative to Everest and a CD/DVD burner.

Indeed. I find real decent free software is few and far between, whilst there is plenty of decent freeware about. I tried. Thats the best I can do.

I think quite the opposite. :hello:

I am very satisfied with 7-Zip, Apache, MySQL, PHP, FileZilla, Blender, HeidiSQL, VLC media player, Media Player Classic, musikCube, SumatraPDF, BitTorrent, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Miranda IM, Tor, PuTTY, ZSNES, OpenOffice.org, WinMerge, Perl, wget, Inkscape, Code::Blocks, NSIS, UPX, Dev-C++, Python, GCC, DC++, nmap, Stunnel, Hydrogen, InfraRecorder, xpy, Stellarium, Celestia, NASA World Wind, Ubuntu and all other free open source software that I use.

And BZFlag, Doom Legacy, SuperTux, Secret Maryo Chronicles, Battle for Wesnoth.