June 2008 Desktops

A change of pace for me this month - found a real nice picture of Oregon Iris, aka Tough-leaved Iris (Iris Tenax). This is a wild Iris found only in this region, usually blue but sometimes purple (as seen here) or, rarely, white.

The moth fluttering around these flowers is a species I'm not familiar with.

It is a nice simple stylish background.

Desktop is a bit cluttered with icons though.

yeap, mentioned that to Tarun on AIM as well, i had probably 10 icon spaces left before i cleaned it up, this is all stuff i use constantly.

kinda got an idea from it for a Win32 Gui.. but doubt i'll ever code it.

*edit*

btw if anyone wants the wallpaper...

http://ve1n.deviantart.com/art/A-E-R-O-S-T-R-E-A-M-70590157

has 7 different colors, and as of this post i changed it to the black version since it looks better.

Colors:

Black

Blue

DarkBlue

Green

Orange

Pink

Purple

I'll have to upload my workstation screenshots (one XP Pro, one Fedroa9) tomorrow when I get a chance. Here's my computer at home.

2008-06-10-Eclipse_thumb.png

I've got three monitors - a 24" in the middle and two 20"s on the sides... plenty of desk space for pr0... I mean... work. :)

I've got three monitors - a 24" in the middle and two 20"s on the sides...

Nice setup, I'm running 2 x 24" LCDs, but have a spare 19" and 17" (both LCDs).

My question is, what graphics card are you using to run the 3 monitors? I currently only have a NVidia GEForce FX5500 which is a PITA as one monitor is running under DVI and the other one is Analog and I want to get my monitors running off the same drivers and same signal source and obviously need more ports(?) to run multiple.

All help appreciated.

Cheers :)

I'm actually running two video cards - an EVGA 512MB 8800GT drives the 24" display, while an EVGA 256MB 8600GT drives the two 20's.

I ran into a little snag initially though... I was running Windows XP Professional 32-bit, and with all the memory and hardware addressing required for the second video card, I was only able to use just over 2GB of my 4GB of RAM. I reformatted my system with XP x64 now though, since I didn't have access to Vista at the time. That upgrade will likely happen later on this summer.

While a 24" monitor will work on VGA cables, DVI is definitely the way to go. Once you start looking at details, it makes all the difference in the world.

A change of pace for me this month - found a real nice picture of Oregon Iris, aka Tough-leaved Iris (Iris Tenax). This is a wild Iris found only in this region, usually blue but sometimes purple (as seen here) or, rarely, white.

The moth fluttering around these flowers is a species I'm not familiar with.

june08dsktpzb8.th.png

You really should install the Royale theme. And if you haven't already, I would recommend XPize (the last final edition, not the current beta) before hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Zxian,

That is some nice desktops there!

Nice screen resolution, you must have some pretty nice monitors.

What is the XP theme you are using? It looks nice.

You have a clean uncluttered desktop, I like that.

I think the default Fedora desktop is nicer though, it looks warmer.

My monitors at home are Acers - X243 and two AL2016W's. At work, I'm using an X263, which gives me 1920x1200 of screen space. :)

The theme I'm using is Luna Element 5.

You're right about the default Fedora desktop being nicer - I was just trying to see how this wallpaper might look. At the very least, I need to make the panels whiter - they're a bit dull at the moment.