Jump to content
bpb

Dial-a-fix error during registration wuaueng.dll

Recommended Posts

I was running Dial-a-fix on an Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz PC with about 382MB RAM, XP SP 1 (Dial-a-fix version 0.06.0.24) and got the error message "Error during registration of C:\Windows\system32\wuaueng.dll - version: 7.2.6001.784. The error returned is: The specified service has been marked for deletion. (-2147023824)"

I rebooted the PC and re-ran Dial-a-fix with the same result. I also got two Error 127 for file qmgr.dll (not registerable and not unregisterable or file corrupted). Windows itself seems to be working fine, except automatic updates are unable to be enabled. I even went into services.msc and tried to enable them with no luck. This is the only time I've come up against a problem that Dial-a-fix didn't straightaway handle. It also said to email DjLizard with this, but I figure if anyone else is having this issue (or knows what to do) perhaps they can benefit from it (plus, I can't seem to find the site with the "lizards" on it anymore; perhaps that was due to the hard drive failure I read about in the blogs?).

Feel free to move, ban, etc. if this is posted in the wrong place (or shouldn't be posted at all!).

Logfile_09_02_2008.txt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it would have helped if I had actually put the solution to this in the tips section; my fault!

Tarun: the explanation is simple (i.e., please make a writeup on the tips section about this for me, since it's very common and easy to fix). The service is stuck in a state of either stopping or starting, and thus cannot be immediately deleted and recreated by Dial-a-fix. When Dial-a-fix tries this, Windows flags it for removal on the next reboot, which also makes it to where nothing else can be done to the service. Once you reboot, you no longer even HAVE the service. It's just gone completely. This is actually a good thing - now you can reinstall it without any interference. For any given service that is marked by Windows because of Dial-a-fix wanting to change its state while stuck, you just have to reboot and then run the same section(s) in Dial-a-fix that you ran before. (This could happen to any service that Dial-a-fix wants to adjust, not just wuauserv.) The unusual part about bpb's post is that rebooting and running it again DIDN'T fix it. So, when you make the writeup for this, mention that 'wuauserv' / Windows Updates service is the most common thing that this happens to, and also tell users to Flush SoftwareDistribution before AND after running "Fix Windows Update" because flushing is usually the part that fixes their original problem (and usually fixes the reason the service got stuck in the first place).

bpb: Reboot to start from a clean slate, run Dial-a-fix, click "Flush SoftwareDistribution" and click NO, reboot again, *then* check "Fix Windows Update" and click GO. Hopefully you won't get the error again. If you still do, this would be a first for me, and that means it's being caused by something I've yet to encounter (which is unusual because I've encountered practically everything :gold: ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...

bpb: Reboot to start from a clean slate, run Dial-a-fix, click "Flush SoftwareDistribution" and click NO, reboot again, *then* check "Fix Windows Update" and click GO. Hopefully you won't get the error again. If you still do, this would be a first for me, and that means it's being caused by something I've yet to encounter (which is unusual because I've encountered practically everything :gold: ).

Ok, I followed your instructions above just as you have them and after clicking "GO" I ended up with this message:

"Error 127: C:\WINDOWS\system32\qmgr.dll is not unregisterable or the file is corrupted. Your version of qmgr.dll is 6.2.2600.1106. Please contact dial-a-fix@DjLizard.net so that an exception can be made for your version of this file."

Actually that error popped up two times during "Stop services", but the second time it of course replaced "not unregisterable" with "not registerable".

I've seen a lot of computer errors myself, but this is the first time Dial-a-fix hasn't auto-fixed everything. I've attached a log file from the latest run of Dial-a-fix (not the time I just "Flush[ed] SoftwareDistribution" but the next step. I forgot to ask; should I run this in "safe mode"?

Let me know if this is at all helpful to you on the Dial-a-fix end of things; I'm thinking this particular hard drive may not be long for this world!

09_09_2008.txt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...