WMP service continues to run after closing (take 2)

emansnas

I'm here because a similar problem to the one I'm having was resolved (thanks to Tarun) on this forum under subject: 'WMP service continues to run after closing', on 18 June 2008.

The symptoms I'm having are pretty much identical to those in subject post with maybe the following differences: It only happens when playing .wmv files and the WMP service doesn't run on quite as long after closing WMP, it usually varies between 1 and 6 seconds (still annoying since WMP can't be restarted during this time). The problem started after installing a large Windows update.

I tried using the resolution in subject post but disabling UPnP along with Windows Media Network service did not cure the problem as it did in subject post. Maybe on my machine WMP calls some other process.

Hopefully my similar problem can be resolved - I'm starting from scratch as far as logs or dumps are concerned but will take whatever steps are advised.

Thanks,

Mike

XP MCE comes IIRC with WMP 10. Are you using WMP 10 or WMP 11?

Does this happen only if you do not finish playing the video, before exiting WMP?

WMP 11 will continue to run in the background if it is still caching the video.

Also hidden WMP controls in Firefox and Sideshow gadgets will cause this.

Some people have reported that exiting with File -> Exit works better than clicking the big red [X]

Thanks for your reply James.

I'm using WMP 10 (sorry, should've confirmed that)

The problem *does* only happen when exiting WMP prior to finishing the video. If the video finishes on its own, no problem.

The problem is different than that which so many WMP 11 users apparently have, in that during the delay WMP appears to have closed and there is no background audio. The service does show up in Task List during the delay and of course I can't start another video during the delay (if I try, I get an hourglass cursor during the delay period).

Don't have Firefox installed (I'm using IE6 for a specific reason) and don't have Sideshow (isn't that only in Vista...). Also, the only plug-in shown in WMP is the stock Visualizations that come with it.

Using File -> Exit results in the same problem behavour.

As I noted, my problem is pretty much identical to that in reference post: ().

In that case, a dump file was used to determine WMP calls at closing and called services identified. When those services were disabled the problem when away. Unfortunately, in my case disabling those particular services hasn't helped. I'm guessing my WMP may be calling different service(s) and was hoping someone capable of understanding a dump file could help identify them.

Thanks,

Mike

I appreciate your input James, makes sense trying to find the easier solution first. Yes, apparently cluberti is the person for this, I was hoping a site Admin could pick up on this thread and maybe help with a referral. Sometime back I emailed Lunarsoft directly about a virus situation and they very kindly walked me thru the problem and I purchased Malwarebytes (no viruses since). Still hoping a site admin may see this post and take an interest.

For what it's worth to others with similar problem who may read this, researching this problem my take is that it's apparently a known bug in 9,10,11 and MS acknowledges it in WMP 11 via KB article posted over two years ago and MS has still not fixed it. It seems some processes, they vary, can hook WMP (or vice versa) while it is buffering thus not allowing it to entirely close. So it seems the trick is to ID the culprit process(s) and disable if practical.

Thank you for your suggestion Eldmannen but other than this WMP 10 problem which is about the only one I've had, I've been very satisfied with it so tend to stick with the devil I know.

Thank you Tarun for responding.

I downloaded MS Debugging Tools for Windows in hopes of using these to create a .dmp file but I'm having problems with them in initiating a dump at the appropriate time (immediately upon closing WMP). Maybe you could explain what I need to do, or point to some instruction or a different tool/method, or....

Thank you,

Mike

Thank you Tarun, that explains how to produce dumps. Of the 3 mentioned, which do you advise? Also, at what point should I execute the dump command... immediately upon closing WMP... or after the WMP process is completely closed... or does it matter? (Sorry but I'm unfamiliar with this process.)

Thanks,

Mike

• 2 months later...

Hi, emansas.

Not to distract from the "fix" process, or the expertise here, but did you install any 3rd party codec packs?

It seems to me that in your circumstance - with it only happening on .wmv's - that this may possibly be a factor.

(Plus I feel a slight vested interest in the subject.)

Archived