dd183194.hero_windows_sysinternals%28en-

Windows Sysinternals is a part of the Microsoft TechNet website which offers technical resources and utilities to manage, diagnose, troubleshoot, and monitor a Microsoft Windows environment. Sysinternals offers users free utilities, most of which are being actively developed by Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell, such as Process Explorer, an advanced version of Windows Task Manager, Autoruns, an advanced manager of startup applications, as well other utilities including command-line tools.

The Sysinternals Suite is a bundling of selected utilities, list of tools and download found here. My favorite 5 are listed below.

download.png:|: Autoruns for Windows :|: Process Explorer :|: Process Monitor :|: TCPView :|: VMMap

Updated: December 16, 2011

• Autoruns for Windows v11.2
  • Process Explorer v15.11
  • Process Monitor v2.96
  • TCPView v3.05
  • VMMap v3.1

What's New:

Autoruns for Windows v11.2

This update fixes a bug in the jump-to-folder function when executed on disabled items and correctly locates print monitor DLLs when they are stored in print monitor-specific system directories.

Process Explorer v15.11

This minor update fixes several bugs, including the fleeting appearance of garbage characters in the status bar.

Process Monitor v2.96

This release changes the appearance of its tooltips to the default theme, fixes a drawing bug in the treeview, and updates the graphs to match the style introduced in Process Explorer v15.

TCPView v3.05

This update fixes a bug when sorting by the state column.

VMMap v3.1

VMMap, a process virtual and physical memory analyzer, now shows the ASLR status of images and reports “unusable†virtual memory regions.

*** Windows Sysinternals Home

Edited by Tarun

2 other must have utilities by Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell are...

Process Monitor v2.8 /// Autoruns for Windows v9.57

BTW, these are portable apps, simply unzip and create a shortcut to the .exe (program) and .chm (help) files and you're good to go :P

==>> See Post #1

I looked up what is new about this version of Process Explorer. The Sysinternals blog says:

This Process Explorer release includes several significant new features, including the showing the web hosted in IE8 processes in the process tooltip, display of a svchost’s service host category in its tooltip, mapping of service names to threads on the threads tab and TCP/IP tabs of the process properties dialog on Windows Vista and higher (thanks to Windows Internals 5th Ed. coauthor Alex Ionescu), a new.NET assembly information tab in the process properties dialog (thanks to Pete Sheill), as well as other improvements and bug fixes.

One thing I forgot to mention with the download links - they are static, if you wait long enough the version may change.

...This is the case with Process Explorer, it is now v12.01 - get it, it's a bug fix update.

This update fixes a bug that prevented DEP status being shown on Windows XP and the threads page of the process properties

dialog from showing service names on Windows Vista.

Good catch. It's only 7 days since 12.0 was announced.

The good thing with static links / static filenames is that you always get the latest version without having to search for it.

The bad thing is that it takes time for all the caches and CDN's right round the world to flush the old version and actually serve the latest to everybody -- anything up to 24 hours for Microsoft files.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: April 14, 2010

Process Explorer v12.02 /// Process Monitor v2.9

If you don't mind Tarun, I will post updates here (if I remember) rather than starting a new topic each time? A better title might be Sysinternals Tools.

I know there is a Suite of utilities but most are a bit complicated or don't provide a nice GUI. These tools are useful and after a few reads of the Help file

should make it easier to get some benefit from the tool's available information.

Also, I didn't want to do anything more here if you didn't care for the idea but another tool I really like is VMMap.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

You can always get/run the latest version from live.sysinternals.com

True, if you only use a tool once in a while the live version is a great alternative, though I do believe you still essentially download the exe. I like to have the tools on my system personally. When I clean up the first post I will mention there is a live version :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Version 14.11 added new abilities:

Process Explorer v14.11 includes the ability to configure network and disk activity icons in the tray.

but version 14.12 looks like a minor bug-fix:

This update fixes a bug that prevents removal of tray icons under certain conditions.