Firefox 3.6.10

Firefox (referred to as Fx) is a web browser descended from the Mozilla Application Suite, managed by the Mozilla Corporation. Firefox is a highly customizable browser that allows you to enhance it using Add-ons. Some examples of Add-ons that you can use to customize Firefox are AdBlock Plus, CuteMenus - Crystal SVG, DownThemAll!, TabMixPlus and many more. Tabbed browsing is one of the many features that helps to make Firefox an enjoyable browser. Firefox does not use ActiveX which helps make it a more secure browser. Firefox does make use of many plugins to enhance your web experience. From Shockwave, Flash, Quicktime and more; your browsing experience reaches new levels with the Firefox browser.

Firefox 3.6.10 fixes a single stability issue affecting a limited number of users

Downloads: Firefox 3.6.10 for Windows English-US | All builds

Changelog: Release Notes

Home page: Mozilla Firefox

... Firefox 3.6.10 fixes a single stability issue affecting a limited number of users

Interesting that the USA Release Notes say that:-

* Fixed a single stability issue affecting a limited number of users

but in fact it fixes two issues, both according to the bug list and also as the European Release Notes say:-

* Fixed a rare startup crash affecting a small percentage of users

* Increased compatibility with the Personas Plus extension

No-one I know has experienced the startup crash (although others certainly have). Mozilla actually fixed it pretty quickly as I knew about the 3.6.10 release two days ago. In fact, they had all but fixed the problem and restarted updates again before journalists released the story of Mozilla suspending updates from earlier versions to 3.6.9.

<snip>but in fact it fixes two issues, both according to the bug list and also as the European Release Notes say:-

* Fixed a rare startup crash affecting a small percentage of users

* Increased compatibility with the Personas Plus extension

No-one I know has experienced the startup crash (although others certainly have). Mozilla actually fixed it pretty quickly as I knew about the 3.6.10 release two days ago. In fact, they had all but fixed the problem and restarted updates again before journalists released the story of Mozilla suspending updates from earlier versions to 3.6.9.

Strange that the European Release Notes are different - though not exactly accurate; they didn't really increase compatibility with Personas Plus, they blocked a bad version of Personas Plus that was conflicting with other extensions and crippling the Add-ons Manager. A serious issue for those affected, however; it should not have been left out of the US Release Notes.

Unfortunately, I didn't take time to follow the Bugzilla link for details of the fixes - a browser crash forced me to start over (I was using a nightly build, had to switch to the release), and it was getting really late. I wouldn't have quoted the Release Notes if I'd known about that second bug fix.

On further thought, blocklistings don't require a browser update. I'm pretty sure they just need a browser restart, to disable the extension. In fact, I filed bug 422903 about blocklist notifications being too intrusive (after being interrupted by one); they pop up in the middle of your browsing session.

I imagine this blocklisting was just bundled with the update as a matter of convenience, since they were going out about the same time. Maybe there was a difference of opinion about whether it should be listed in the Release Notes because it wasn't really part of the browser update (IMHO it should have been mentioned).