• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i downloaded shareaza and i like it so far

the problem is im behind a firwall//router and its yelling at me for it. I went thru the tut to open the ports, but then it wanted me to make a static ip. I said hell no and x'd out of the window. Hopefully it wont hinder my searches and downloads too much.

)corjello(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

wow. i'm amazed that nobody here has mentioned AVG yet. well anyways

AVG

An anti-virus program

Get It

nLite

A Program to make custom Windows Install CDs

Get It

AveDesk

A Program to add widgets or desklets to the desktop

Get It

Capture.NET

A Program with multiple functions such as erasing internet data, screenshot capturer, Window spy, and more

Get It

mkvtoolnix

A Program to Mux and demux .mkv/mka files

Get It

Replacer

A batch file used to safely replace a system file such as uxtheme.dll

Get It

Rootkit Revealer

a program to reveal if there is a rootkit on your system

Get It

TaskSwitchXP

a program which revolutionizes the Alt+Tab combination

Get It

Media Player Classic

a media player which has the same look at feel as WMP 6.4 . includes a lot of useful features.

Get It

TerraIM

a standalone AIM client. missing a lot of needed functionality but it is very lightweight.

Get It

WinSnap

an advaned screnshot taking program. saves a lot of time when it comes to just the print screen + paste

Get It

ok that's all for now

• 3 weeks later...

like...

Audio & Video

@Max Tray Player is not free... as indicate here... but some download sites indicate it is free~

All2Wav Recorder is bundle with adware (written on it's website) http://www.naturpic.com/all2wav/

Cheetah Audio CD Copier priced at $9.99

Chat/IM & Patches

mIRC is a shareware but can be use without paying (with a nag screen). it actually requires one time payment of US$20.00 after evaluated for 30 days...

eTrust Antivirus is not free either~ but since it indicates that it is free for 12 months then fine though...

---

maybe our views on freeware are different...

like...

Audio & Video

@Max Tray Player is not free... as indicate here... but some download sites indicate it is free~

All2Wav Recorder is bundle with adware (written on it's website) http://www.naturpic.com/all2wav/

Cheetah Audio CD Copier priced at $9.99

Chat/IM & Patches

mIRC is a shareware but can be use without paying (with a nag screen). it actually requires one time payment of US$20.00 after evaluated for 30 days...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All valid points there MrT, the list has been updated with all the above being removed.

maybe our views on freeware are different...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, our views on freeware are exactly the same. :P

I still have loads of yours to add to the list and will get them done slowly but surely.

• 1 month later...

Data Recovery: Unstoppable Copier 2.25

Recover files from scratched CD's or defective floppy/hard disks.

Spyware Tool

E2TakeOut 1.01

This program removes the E2Give and PTech malware. Simply download, unzip, and run the E2TakeOut.exe file. Follow the onscreen directions and be sure to restart your computer when prompted.

Anti-Virus

AIMFix 1.6..630.185

AIM Fix was created to remove all known AIM viruses in one consolidated removal tool. It is designed to end the virus processes, delete the files, and remove registry keys created by the virus.

Karen's Replicator

Automatically backup files, directories, even entire drives! Karen's Replicator copies selected files from one drive/folder to another. Source and Destination folders can reside anywhere on your network.

Options include repeated copies at intervals as short as a few minutes, or as long as several months, copy only files that have changed, and the replication of file deletions.

And I might add, it's both free and open-source - you can download the source code from the same page.

You're welcome. I know we already had Cobian Backup listed, but Karen's Replicator is a much lighter program, and simple to use. If you just want to do simple backups on your computer or on your local network, it's enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Drive Cleaners | Zappit System Cleaner (Now Freeware) 1.1

"Zappit System Cleaner cleans up and speeds up your computer. It cleans Windows, Internet Tracks, frees up hard-disk space and optimizes your system. A clean computer runs better and faster and Zappit makes it easy to clean temporary and unused files in just a few seconds with no need to worry about deleting the "wrong" files. Includes a Start-Up Manager and a Favorites and Start Menu Manager. Safe Mode for beginners; Advanced Mode for more options."

Security | WinGuard Pro 2006 6.4.23

"WindowsGuard helps you to password protect your programs, windows and web pages in one easy to use application!

What's more, there is also encrytption for your files and folders. It offers an all-in-one security solution for your computer.

With extra features to lock the boot keys, task keys, software installations and internet access. This is the free edition download, however there is an option to upgrade to the Premium Edition for $19.95."

Appearance | nHide 2.5.1

"nHide can quickly and easily hide -- not close -- any open application windows and their taskbar buttons. Just press the user defined hotkey when trouble arises, and when the coast is clear, open nHide, unhide the window and keep playing!

For added stealth, nHide does not include an entry in the add/remove programs list, but includes an uninstall menu item within the program."

• 1 month later...

Another browser I think we should add: K-Meleon

K-Meleon is an extremely fast, customizable, lightweight web browser for the win32 (Windows) platform based on the Gecko layout engine (the rendering engine of Mozilla). K-Meleon is free, open source software released under the GNU General Public License.