Truth about Macs

hahah, thats pretty funny. more like the reason there arent any viruses for macs is because no one has them, and a demented person trying to harass a bunch of people is going to target the vastly more popular windows base rather than a mac.

)corjello(

Macs look cool, I'll give it that, and the Mac that I tested out at the Apple store -- 5 gig (i think) dual core, 4 gigs of RAM, a screen which was practically as big as our TV -- that was cool. But at school? In our journalism room, where we try to run photoshop on 327mHz computers that were junk when they were new?

Macs ftl.

• 1 month later...

Honestly I don't know from experience if Macs suck or not. I've noticed that Windows users say that Macs suck, but all of the Mac users that I know absolutely love them. They never have problems, glitches, etc....So why aren't Macs good if they run so well? :sick:

haha macs suck! we we're "forced" to use a Mac in my senior year of highschool. (was in a program for lazy people lol. so it was only 2 teachers 1 classroom, teaching Math, Biology, English, History and Economics) but I REFUSED to use a Mac, I told them straight up, i'm not using that POS Mac.... there was an extra comp in my old computer class from freshman year that was a 133mhz windows 95 box... i used that insted of that Mac OSX for the rest of the year, and it was labeled "Phil's Computer" hahaha. all this because i typed up a 5 page essay went to print and it locked up lol, so i had to retype it all.

but anyways, yea Macs suck.

god **** look at the prices of the Power Mac from the link glade posted... sure the specs are pretty decent.... but i KNOW i can make a PC with better or same specs for cheaper.. and without the hassle of a mac haha.

I have used both PC and Mac. For the "average" person or applications they are great.

Mac's have virtually nothing running "in the background" unlike PC's.

They are the system of choice for sound and video production and the main systems for most game designers--DooM3 and Quake3 and Quake4 were all designed and compiled on Mac's.

I have used the G6--a 64bit system, it is an awsome machine!

Macs (Macintosh computers) can do a lot of things! Haven't you even watched the ads on TV? I've used a Mac since 1984 and owned one since 1986. They've just gotten better and better. Sure they're not flawless, no computer system is, but it is by far the more secure and easy to use system out there. And before you say, "It's secure because the hackers don't waste their time on a system with such low market share" let me say this: Until I get hit with a virus that cripples my Mac, I say Mac Rules! I have NEVER had a virus on any of my various Macs over the years.

I maintain and manage about 125 Macintosh computers at the CA School for the Deaf, Riverside where I work. I also help maintain and manage the 300 or so PCs we have. The Macs over a period of 6 years (the time I have worked in that position) have had at least 95% less breakdowns than the PCs. I use Apple Remote Desktop to manage them and provide user help from my office and it works so much better than Windoze Remote Desktop. (I also have a Windoze laptop on my desk.) Saves me an immense amount of time! Most of the problems I deal with (with staff, teachers, and students) are due to lack of (common sense!) user knowledge. I can interact with the user, sharing screens, etc. and it works much better than VNC or Remote Desktop on a PC. Users can alert me via Apple Remote Desktop to get help at any time.

We use Macs at our school in three computer labs (Photography and Web Design, Video Production Lab, and Elementary Computer Lab) as well as in each Elementary and some Middle School classrooms, as the teacher's main computer. Many of the support staff prefer a Mac as well, and one is assigned to them. We have iMacs, G5 Towers, PowerBooks, MacMinis, and soon to arrive, MacBook Pros and intel iMacs.

I personally own a MacBook Pro which I absolutely love! I have installed Apple's Boot Camp software which allows you to partition the drive and install Windoze XP with SP2 for dual boot. I did this so that I could run Guild Wars on my Mac and it works awesomely! (Runs circles around my 1.8 PC with Radeon 9600 graphics card.) I know all of you probably have better systems than my PC and I know that the high end gaming PCs will outrun my little MacBook Pro too, but I am completely satisfied! Eventually Apple will develop a gaming machine, then you better watch out!

Macs come preloaded with an amazing amount of great, easy to use programs and of course, more are easily obtained. iLife '06 (which comes bundled at no extra cost) is invaluable to me, including iPhoto to manage photos, iWeb to do my (simple) website, iDVD and iMovie to make DVD movies from home video, GarageBand to produce music (not my thing tho), and iTunes to manage my iPod and download music from the iTMS. MacOSX "Tiger" is a great operating system and will soon be updated to "Leopard". I'm sure it will have even more "goodies" and features!

I could go on and on but the best way to get to know a Mac is to use one, so visit your neighborhood Apple store and try one out! It's worth the time!

Thanks for all your comments everyone, even the negative ones! Good to hear from you!

Glade : )

haha macs suck! we we're "forced" to use a Mac in my senior year of highschool. (was in a program for lazy people lol. so it was only 2 teachers 1 classroom, teaching Math, Biology, English, History and Economics) but I REFUSED to use a Mac, I told them straight up, i'm not using that POS Mac.... there was an extra comp in my old computer class from freshman year that was a 133mhz windows 95 box... i used that insted of that Mac OSX for the rest of the year, and it was labeled "Phil's Computer" hahaha. all this because i typed up a 5 page essay went to print and it locked up lol, so i had to retype it all.

but anyways, yea Macs suck.

god **** look at the prices of the Power Mac from the link glade posted... sure the specs are pretty decent.... but i KNOW i can make a PC with better or same specs for cheaper.. and without the hassle of a mac haha.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey BiOhaZarD,

One thing occurred to me: Why in the world did you type up a 5 page essay without saving it several times during the process?! That is a typical amateur computer user error! (Not saying you are an amateur though!)

As for the prices of Apple computers, you get what you pay for. They are sleek, sexy, well-designed machines that run forever, equipped with all the innards you would have to add to a PC. Add to that the great bundled software AND OS, and you've got a computer that is priced similarly to any PC of the same caliber. Maybe YOU can make a PC cheaper, but the average person out there can't, and an Apple computer for those people is ready to use right out of the box!

Okay, I'll stop my ranting now, all I ask is, give Apple a chance!

One thing occurred to me: Why in the world did you type up a 5 page essay without saving it several times during the process?! That is a typical amateur computer user error!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed! It doesn't matter what type of machine you are using, there is always the possibility of losing work that isn't consistantly saved.

The CEO of a company that I worked for had been working on something all day, then the power went out for a bit due to a storm. He had not been saving all day, and lost all of his work. And he wasn't using a mac.

My point is that this type of situation isn't about the machine being used, but the user. Good call Glade. :sick:

lmao

The CEO of a company that I worked for had been working on something all day, then the power went out for a bit due to a storm.  He had not been saving all day, and lost all of his work.  And he wasn't using a mac.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats real bad... something similar happened to me before (due to power failure) when i am doing a school project... from that day onwards, Ctrl+S become my "Best Friend"... now i have the habit of Ctrl+S-ing all the time...

thats real bad... something similar happened to me before (due to power failure) when i am doing a school project... from that day onwards, Ctrl+S become my "Best Friend"... now i have the habit of Ctrl+S-ing all the time...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too! Everytime I pause I save, except for me it's "Command-S" (which is the little "cloverleaf"/"Apple" key on a Mac).

hmm could've swore i replied to this.. guess i wrote something and forgot to hit "add reply" lol.

Yea, i saved, several times too. but after the computer crashed i tried reopening the document and the comp would just freeze everytime i tried.. tried on other comps as well and they would freeze as well.

wasn't until about 4 months later i stumbled across it, decided to open it with a hex editor on my PC, and saw that the entire header of the file was corrupt.. the data was still there, but a big portion of the data just wasn't worth retreiving.

Yea, i saved, several times too. but after the computer crashed i tried reopening the document and the comp would just freeze everytime i tried.. tried on other comps as well and they would freeze as well.

Hmmm... and this kind of thing NEVER happens on a PC, right?

I guess this kind of discussion never ends does it? And the lines just keep getting blurrier. Funny though, how Mac users are forced to defend their operating system and seldom are seen attacking the PC OS. At least I don't.

Reminds me of how we crashed Macs by saving stuff and just trying to do normal things.  I think the comic has it dead on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And how long ago was this Tarun? Sounds like these Macs were already in bad shape! Don't know how you could crash a Mac (or a PC) just by saving stuff or "trying to do normal things" unless the OS needed repair to begin with.

My definition of a "crashed" Mac is one that will not start up, indicating a system or hardware issue. A "freeze" is a different issue, which can usually be resolved quite easily by force-quitting the app and maybe restarting the computer. I've had so few actual "crashes" on Macs through the years that it's really a hard term to define.

And the platform wars continue...

(Edit-added)

http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/842.html

• Administrator

Hmmm... and this kind of thing NEVER happens on a PC, right?

I have never, and I mean not once had an issue with saving documents or losing data.

I guess this kind of discussion never ends does it? And the lines just keep getting blurrier. Funny though, how Mac users are forced to defend their operating system and seldom are seen attacking the PC OS. At least I don't.

Perhaps because of how very, very few use the Mac. Again like the comic said. :sick:

Reminds me of how we crashed Macs by saving stuff and just trying to do normal things.  I think the comic has it dead on.

And how long ago was this Tarun? Sounds like these Macs were already in bad shape! Don't know how you could crash a Mac (or a PC) just by saving stuff or "trying to do normal things" unless the OS needed repair to begin with.

My definition of a "crashed" Mac is one that will not start up, indicating a system or hardware issue. A "freeze" is a different issue, which can usually be resolved quite easily by force-quitting the app and maybe restarting the computer. I've had so few actual "crashes" on Macs through the years that it's really a hard term to define.

And the platform wars continue...

(Edit-added)

http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/842.html

When a comp crashes, it stops operating in it's normal behavior. In 1998 was when my friends and I did this in homeroom. Funny thing is we were just trying to load the games they had, boom crash. Problem after problem.

That comic link you seem to like to post is always slated towards things that are non-Mac. Like anything not Mac is bad. Yet, everything wil get hit by a person at some time. Hell, when the Macs had issues in homeroom, we hit them like "Wtf, piece of junk." When they DID work, the games they had were fun. Shame they seemed to work only once every two weeks. Oh, and they were brand as of 1996 too. :lol: