Major bug in JavaRa 1.16 [now fixed]

James_A

There is a MAJOR bug in JavaRa - it erroneously trashes the JavaScript keys in the Windows Registry.

Fix/Workaround: If you have already downloaded JavaRa, unzip the contents and manually edit the file JavaRa.def. In the current download this file is dated 02-May-2011.

You must remove the following lines: 348 through 353, BEFORE running JavaRa

The lines to be removed contain the following:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT|JavaScript

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT|JavaScript Author

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT|JavaScript1.1

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT|JavaScript1.1 Author

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT|JavaScript1.2

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT|JavaScript1.2 Autho

If you have a different file date, then the line numbers may not be the same.

However, the same code (as shown above) must be removed if it is present in your version of the file.

These lines have been in the database since the beginning and nobody ever complained that they caused severe problemen. I don't understand why they should occur now. We will investigate the issue but have removed the offending lines from the database. Expect the updated databese online within a couple of hours.

Many thanks for a quick response and a fix.

These lines have been in the database since the beginning and nobody ever complained that they caused severe problemen. I don't understand why they should occur now.

Actually those lines were not originally in the .def file. They were not in 1.15 and they were not in the original release of 1.16. It's only this year with silent updates to the .def file that they have appeared. How do I know? Because I went back throught my archive of JavaRa (including source code) and checked it all.

So it has only been a problem this year because it has only been present this year.

Again, thanks for the fix.

==

NB: topic title changed by me to show "[now fixed]"

If you want the fixed version of the JavaRa.def file, you will either have to go to the website of the new owners (Web Atom) or fix it youself, by editing the file as I have posted.

Neither the RaProducts site nor the SourceForge site have been updated.

==

Archived