Windows Update Problems

Guest Abe

I have been going to the Microsoft Update site to download updates manually because I am having various problems with Automatic Updates. It worked until a few days ago. Now it seems to get 'stuck' during the search for updates then displays an error page with [Error number: 0x8DDD0009]

I then did some research on google and found this software dial-a-fix which I installed and tried (version 0.60.0.24). I checked the 'Fix Windows Update' box and clicked go. When it finished I tried the Microsoft Update site again only to come up with the same error code.

Could anyone give any tips on how to resolve this problems?

• 2 weeks later...

Which version of Windows are you using? (XP SP2? 2000 SP4?)

Check your time and date (especially the year) and make sure that they are accurate. The security certificate won't work unless the year is correct.

Try clicking Flush SoftwareDistribution and then answer Yes. Restart the computer and visit again. If that doesn't work, click it again but choose No (this deletes the update history). Then visit again.

If that doesn't work, you may have to post the last 30 lines of your C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log. Make sure you post the one without the space (as you may also have a "Windows Update.log").

• 1 month later...
Guest sambasivan

Which version of Windows are you using? (XP SP2? 2000 SP4?)

Check your time and date (especially the year) and make sure that they are accurate. The security certificate won't work unless the year is correct.

Try clicking Flush SoftwareDistribution and then answer Yes. Restart the computer and visit again. If that doesn't work, click it again but choose No (this deletes the update history). Then visit again.

If that doesn't work, you may have to post the last 30 lines of your C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log. Make sure you post the one without the space (as you may also have a "Windows Update.log").

VersionV.0.60.0.24 Dial - a fix. :hello:

headset.png

Thank you very much.Struggled for two days to Update and was going in circles.

Accidentally, rather, downloaded the program and tried UPD fix. worked like magic.

I think i would have read more knowledge articles of MS and forums. during these two days.

Downloaded WGA. Could download UPD from other microsoft site. Also updated IE7.

But when tried in Update site " not registered '.

then "downloading and installing the latest updates download files etc"

again back to base!. Thank you once again for THIS tweak which , I could not GET,

BY SEARCHING IN YAHOO / GOOGLE and MICROSOFT sites. I feel, this is the ONLY

Program now available. Presume you have some check for Genuine XP OS. in the program.

Should be Incorporated in Microsoft Knowledge base .

MINE XP Pro SP2 .

• 1 month later...

I am also running XP Home with SP2. Automatic updates work fine. My problem is manual update. I go to Windows Update, check the "Custom" button, I see 5 optional software downloads. I select the items and Windows downloads. but then when I get to Initiating Installation, the disk runs for a few seconds,then I get a message that the update failed and the reason is that "there is a problem on your computer that is preventing the installation". I'm running with WGA, so I know that's not a problem. I should point out that I'm also running SuDown (which allows me to run as a limited user until I need to upgrade my access to install a program or other task. Needed to do it within Dial-A-Fix as a matter of fact. I posted on their forum, but it does not look a very active forum so I'm not sure as to whether I'll get a reply from them or not. I have been able to download from Windows Update before when Sudown has been running. That's why I'm checking with you to see if there's something I can do. I ran WU/WUAU and also flushed the Software Distribution folder (except for the Update History. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Archived