version.dll will not 'fix' in DAF nor will it reregister with regsvr32.exe

JL_COG

when running the 'shotgun approach' with Dial-a-Fix the error:

"Access violation at address 77C0155D in module 'version.dll'.

Read of address 00000004.

Using Dial-a-Fix v0.60.0.24

When trying to re-register version.dll with regsvr32.exe on the command line i get the error:

version.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.

This file cannot be registered.

Also tried to overwrite with a fresh copy of version.dll but no go, got the in use by another application error.

Anyone know what the deal is here? Thank-you, gentlemen, JL.

EDIT: As i type this Dial-a-Fix is running and at the bottom the status reads: Registering slbcsp.dll...

This is where it hung before which is the next file after version.dll fails with the message above.

Last time i gave up after a L O N G time and closed the program and tried again with the same results.

After closing the program (with the Upper right-hand "X" close button as cancel never would end the program) Windows would not reboot properly.

Meaning that the desktop background would load but not the Explorer shell. An NT-2000-XP boot floppy would not recover it nor a repair of the boot sector (of course)

so an XP install was run on top of the old one which brought back the OS as well as allowing MS Update to run SUCCESSFULLY. Today i decided to try Dial-a-Fix

to see if it too now worked but apparently the version.dll is still a problem. Hopefully i'll be able to restart the system after this post *sigh* (at the thought of another reinstall)

I know everyone is busy with their own issues but please post something if you have any ideas it seems urgent when the system is "ill" Thanks, JL.

EDIT-EDIT: Reboot successful after closing DAF since cancel never ended the process. At least i don't need to reinstall XPpro-must have been something else before. boogers!

Wonder what's with that stupid .dll?! Guess i'll uuse safe mode to copy a new one but i don't get the entry point business. But then i am not a programmer. HELP! <-- (beside myself)

EDIT=EDIT-EDIT: Cannot load safe mode at all, reboot leads to reboot if trying same mode no matter how i try it-boogers, off to chase another rabbit! Will report back.

when running the 'shotgun approach' with Dial-a-Fix the error:

"Access violation at address 77C0155D in module 'version.dll'.

Read of address 00000004.

Using Dial-a-Fix v0.60.0.24

I got the same "Access violation at address 77C0155D in module 'version.dll'. Read of address 00000004", but in a different circumstance. I was running Reset WMI/WBEM, and immediately the box came up. I am also using Dial-a-Fix v0.60.0.24.

OK ... Finally gave up and did a repair install to get system back up :( [hate doing that]

MS Update is working

Boots are fine (of course)

same errors on version.dll even with a fresh copy of the latest version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

So why do i care? If all is in order i don't. But ... can anyone tell me if this is normal? Thank-you very much.

Sorry I couldn't get to your post in a timelier fashion.

Obviously the crash isn't normal... it's probably caused by the unsafe methods with which DAF talks to version.dll. This will be addressed in a future update. This problem basically means version.dll is being passed garbage data (and it's Dial-a-fix's responsibility to pass good data). This usually happens when it's querying a corrupted file. The file that is breaking it is the one directly after the one displayed on the screen, so you'll need to look at the status bar during the crash, note the filename, re-open Dial-a-fix, and look at the tooltip for the section that was run. The file right after the one you saw in the status bar is the culprit. "Cancel" not working is just another Dial-a-fix stupidity which will be addressed in a future update, etc.

version.dll isn't a COM/ActiveX object so it is normal that it cannot be registered. (Only a small fraction of system files can be registered, most of which Dial-a-fix covers.)

OK ... I flushed the software distro (saying no at the pop-up prompt) then reran DAF after checking the green check mark. Got the same result. Wrote down the filename in the status bar: SLBCSP.DLL then used REGSVR32.EXE to register it and it was successful. Retried DAF for fun and got the same failure so i skipped the register dll's box and finished the rest of the options in the main window. Ran repair permissions also for fun. Had previously run purge and scan of System File Checker just fyi. The page referenced under the tooltip: http://support.microsoft.com/kbid=822798 is not available :( I'll re-register the rest of the files listed after slbcsp.dll in the tooltip list for the registering .dll's while waiting for a reply. Thank-you again, JL.

Edit: When i got to REGWIZC.DLL it failed because file was 'in use' and again after turning everything off fo went into Safe Mode and registered the rest of the list with no problem. So i ran the SSL/HTTPS/Cryptography section again and it failed right after version.dll but you could have told me that i bet. (i think you did above actually) Thank-you for your patience with me, JL. :D

Archived