Jump to content

Lost User Account


Guest C.J. Duma

Recommended Posts

Guest C.J. Duma

I used Dial-a-fix to repair a problem with not being able to download and install MS Updates. It worked very well and my updated are now all installed. But a problem occured after I rebooted. I lost the othe user account :) . Her documents are in the computer but her account is gone and she can't log on. I tried readding her as a new user, but it said the account already exsists. Did I forget to checkmark something when I ran the program?

Thanks, Chris. dizzy.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I apologize for the inconvenience. Dial-a-fix uses the default INF that Microsoft supplied, which apparently contains a command to remove members from the "Users" group. If you are using Windows XP Pro, this is easy to fix. If you are not, then you will need to roll back the SAM and SECURITY hives using this guide: https://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/System_Volume_Information

If you are in XP Pro, click Start > Run > lusrmgr.msc

Click Users, double-click the user that isn't showing up anymore, click the "Member Of" tab, click "Add", and then type "Users".

This will all be changed in a future version of Dial-a-fix.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...