System Properties shows SP3 after uninstall

Guest tech232

Guest tech232

I hope this is the right place for this question. If not, I apologize.

On a couple of computers, after installing sp3, they crashed and windows would not restart. I used the command line uninstall and removed sp3. After booting into Windows GUI Windows 'System Properties' still shows sp3 as installed. Running 'Windows Update' from the Windows update site did not find any needed updates.

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

1st: Would dial-a-fix, Flush Software Distribution cause sp3 to be available again for download?

2nd: What would correct the System Properties entry to show that sp3 was no longer installed?

tks for any input.

1st: Would dial-a-fix, Flush Software Distribution cause sp3 to be available again for download?

2nd: What would correct the System Properties entry to show that sp3 was no longer installed?

1st: Probably not, but I can't guarantee that. It won't hurt anything to use Flush, so you might as well try it.

2nd: Too complicated, and just changing the text there would be useless anyway. It'd be better to identify and solve the issue preventing you from installing SP3 and get SP3 reinstalled (by using the full .exe download at microsoft.com). Were you having BSoDs? Are there files in C:\WINDOWS\Minidump that could be examined (by us)? Could the problem be any of this? http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/arc...ing-xp-sp3.aspx

Archived