Remaining access denials and incorrect parameters

Guest Lorraine

Guest Lorraine

Hi there, I recently ran DAF's Permissions utility on two computers after a registry cleaner (RegSeeker 1.55) apparently saw fit to relieve me of access to many registry keys on both. The only symptoms I'd had (so far!) were inability to install a higher version of Adobe Reader on one, and broken WMP video playback -- with inability to re-register wmp.dll -- on the other. At first I came across and applied that workaround of adding "Everyone" with full control to parent keys, but then read that that's not a permanent or wise way to go. So I used DAF and it fixed many key permissions on both (thank you!). But below are some remaining secrepair log errors from the XP Home SP2 machine that I don't know how to proceed on. I'm not sure if they would ever even interfere with anything, but wanted to ask if I should do something about them, and if so, what.

Possibly-relevant details: I'm the owner/only user of these machines. On the one below I did set up a limited user account at one point, but never used it and recently deleted it. They're standalone machines and have never been networked.

(FYI, I tried very hard to google up some answers before coming here to bother you; figured these exact error messages were as common as dirt and that I'd find a smorgasboard of completely relevant material. But noooo!!! Oh and please don't lose respect for me because I have AOL on this machine. ;) I don't use it anymore and would love to scrub it out once and for all, but need to keep it if I want to be able to access old emails saved in its proprietary .pfc format, grrr!)

----Configure Registry Keys...

Configure users\.default.

Configure users\.default\software\microsoft\netdde.

Configure machine\software.

Configure machine\software\classes.

Warning 5: Access is denied.

Error setting security on machine\software\classes\AOLFlash.AOLFlash\CLSID.

Error setting security on machine\software\classes\AOLFlash.AOLFlash.1\CLSID.

Error setting security on machine\software\classes\AOLFlash.AOLFlash.3\CLSID.

Error setting security on machine\software\classes\AOLFlash.AOLFlash.4\CLSID.

Error setting security on machine\software\classes\AOLFlash.AOLFlash.5\CLSID.

Error setting security on machine\software\classes\AOLFlash.AOLFlash.6\CLSID.

Error setting security on machine\software\classes\AOLFlashFactory.AOLFlashFactory\CLSID.

Error setting security on machine\software\classes\AOLFlashFactory.AOLFlashFactory.1\CLSID.

Error setting security on machine\software\classes\AOLFlashProp.AOLFlashProp.1\CLSID.

Error setting security on machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\Setup\OptionalComponents\SwFlash.

Error 87: The parameter is incorrect.

Error setting security on machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\Setup\OptionalComponents\Moviemk.

Error 87: The parameter is incorrect.

Error setting security on machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\Setup.

Configuration of Registry Keys was completed with one or more errors.

TIA for any assistance!

Guest Lorraine

Ok, I may have fixed it, unless the following wasn't the correct/best way. I recalled that in my searches I saw the statement that sometimes key access denials happen simply because a policy never was defined on that key in the first place. So I checked the ones shown in my log, and on the 'Security' tab, all of them were completely blank. So I clicked on 'Advanced' > 'Owner' tab, and there 'Administrators' and 'Owner' were in fact listed, but the 'Current Owner' field said 'Unable to define owner' or something to that effect. So I highlighted 'Administrators,' checked 'Replace Owner,' and clicked 'Apply.' Then it gave me a denial error, as it did again when I 'Ok'd' out -- but it had in fact taken my new owner setting. Then I went back to the 'Permissions' tab, unchecked and rechecked 'Inherit from parent...,' clicked 'Apply'... and the field automatically populated with all the usual Admins/Owner/System/Users etc., as well as their typical permission levels.

Then I also had a look at the keys which generated the incorrect parameter errors, but *don't recall noticing anything unusual in their permission settings nor making any changes. (*This was under an hour ago, but I didn't get enough sleep last night! Yeah, maybe not a good time to be playing in the registry. ;)) At most, Admin's 'Security' tab permission boxes may not have been checked or something.

Anyway, after all of the above I ran DAF again, and this time ta-da, no un-defeatable errors!

(Through these multiple DAF runs I became curious why it has to beat back some of the exact same access denials each time, and why sometimes new denials -- which DAF is also victorious over -- appear between runs, when I haven't 'done' anything with/to the PC in between. Strictly curious tho, please disregard if desired!)

Guest Lorraine

HI!! It's me again, putting this part in a separate post to trick attention spans. ;)

For the benefit of future surfers I wanted to mention another brewing problem that DAF uncovered on my XP Pro machine: Registry cleaners are also known to mess up programs that were installed with some features on hold, to be "Installed on First Use." When I tried to use MS Word after running DAF, it asked for the CD. But wouldn't take the CD; would then give an error saying to "check if the patch is valid" or something like that. Same if I tried to repair install or uninstall. The fix was readily available via google, and was to run Microsoft's Windows Installer Cleanup utility, then reinstall MS Office 2000 (then go to Windows and Office Update and apply all previous security patches!).

It's possible tho that the real cause was having the Office 2007 Compatibility Pack installed on that machine (I have Office 2000 on both; ran the mean registry cleaner on both; but only had this side effect on the one with the Compat. Pack). Before installing the pack I recall reading something to the effect that if you ever uninstall it, it may mess up your original Office installation in the process. So perhaps resetting default security on that machine changed something about or for the Compat. Pack, which then triggered the foregoing known issue. Possibly supported by the fact that I had tried removing just the Compat. Pack with Add/Remove Progs, but had again gotten the errors about needing the CD and checking if "patch" was valid.

Anyway, moral of the story is: keep track of your installation CDs, folks! (And as it says in DAF's documentation, don't jump to any conclusions about DAF if you happen to encounter an unexpected side-effect!)

Last but not least, thank you again for your fab product! And DJLizard, if you're reading (and even if you're not!), I read your blog and wanted to say, you're a very funny guy! ;) (And a great writer!)

Archived