Dial-a-fix beta update and wiki entry

DjLizard

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Dj. I downloaded the beta to check it out, when I opened it this possible restrictive policy was shown:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Policies\System\DisableRegistryTools

0 REG_DWORD. Sounded like something I didn't need, so I backed it up, then deleted it. Rescan was clean. Couldn't detect any difference anyway, but that policy came back after reboot. WTF?

Also, CHKDSK run in read-only still finds problems with the file system in C:, even after I ran it with the /F parameter, then ran /R when that didn't work, then I ran CHKDSK C: /R from the recovery console and still there are problems. Should I be worried about any of this, when the computer's running ok? I checked out the HD with HD Tune, it's 100% healthy, I run all kinds of malware scans (which I only needed once since switching to Firefox, but I'm paranoid). This bugs me, but there aren't any more glitches otherwise than Windows usually has (it's XP Home, by the way). Any ideas?

I don't really know about your filesystem problems. I'd start backing up and prepare for a format in case things get worse.

As for the policy, I'm going to put in a checkmark that disables the display of policies set to "0" (which means that the policy is not enabled). The fact that it came back is kind of sad... that probably means you have some sort of protection software which is constantly forcing that key to 0, or something like that. It doesn't matter; with it set to '0', it does nothing anyway. Like I said though, the next DAF will ignore those by default.

Hey, Dj. I downloaded the beta to check it out, when I opened it this possible restrictive policy was shown:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER  Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Policies\System\DisableRegistryTools 

Same here. Mine keeps coming back after reboot as well.

Thanks. I had a hunch that policy was not a problem, especially since removing it changed nothing - but it's nice to be sure. I also considered that it might be a bug in DAF, which was another reason to tell you about it. I guess it is sort of a minor bug, at that.

I mentioned the filesystem problem in case it might have some bearing on the other thing, and because you say to run chkdsk to fix those kinds of problems before running DAF. I guess I won't be running DAF anytime soon - wouldn't want to chance making the problem worse! I didn't have much hope that you'd have any help for it, I did a pretty thorough search for fixes. Running chkdsk from the console was my last shot, I've run out of things to try. It still works fine, anyway, guess I'll just keep backing things up and cross my fingers...though that makes it hard to type... :P

It's probably a protection software that you have. Do you and krit have OneCare Live or Windows Defender or something? I saw this happen once in OneCare, and I don't use these programs, so I don't know about them. It's not a bug in DAF, it's just something forcing the policy to off each time you restart (and in the case of OneCare, every 10 seconds).

I've got Windows Defender. Wouldn't touch OneCare Live, that's like selling your soul to Microsoft.

Some might call it a bug, that the program is giving irrelevant results. Of course, it only says "possible restrictive policies", so it's not incorrect. It could be a restrictive policy, if it was enabled.

Well I won't call it a bug since it's just reporting the value as-is in the registry... if anything, whatever's forcing it to 0 is a bug (or maybe a feature) of protection software. Like I said, I'll put in a checkmark (enabled by default) that ignores policies with a "0" value.

I've spent too much time looking at Bugzilla, where lots of really trivial issues are reported as bugs. :P Those Firefox devs debate endlessly about some of the most minor issues you can imagine, meanwhile major dataloss bugs go unpatched. It's a wonder that it works as well as it does.

Adding a checkbox to ignore disabled policies sounds like a good plan.

greenknight

don't know if these are relevent for you, but they might work:

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/895406

All policies on a Windows XP-based computer are refreshed when you enable an IPsec policy

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/895245

Error message after you apply a WMI filter to a Group Policy object on a Windows XP-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/894794

Security permissions for a service are not correctly set when you use a Group Policy object to modify service settings on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer

all mentioned hotfixes (and others) are downloadable here : http://hf.xable.net/

Thanks for the effort, but I have no problems involving policies. That DAF reports a disabled policy as possibly restrictive is not really a problem. The real problem I have is that there are problems with the file system that chkdsk can't fix. If you know of some way short of a reformat to fix that, that would be helpful.

DJLizard, here's a bug report for you: Even if you have secedit.exe in the same directory as the current beta DAF, it does not 'see' it, and it tells me that the file could not be found in the Windows directory. The current stable build works fine when the file is just in the DAF directory. Just wondering if this is intentional?

Also, It might make some sense to offer up another tool --

Reset HTTP/HTTPS associations (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=312406822).

This problem seems to occur with a combination of Firefox being your default browser, then installing IE7Beta 1/2, and then deciding to uninstall IE7. Firefox will work fine, but attempting to use IE's address bar will result in it launching Firefox... I've experienced this first-hand, and have fixed it on my box, but when applied to other's systems, seems to cause another launching problem. If you have time to research more into this problem/fix, that'd be great.

There still seems to be problems with my regfixes for this problem, but at least they get you going a little bit.

Heya. Re: secedit - you probably called Dial-a-fix.exe from some other tool (and thus the working directory was not where Dial-a-fix.exe is). I'll definitely fix that in the next build.

Re address bar: I had to help Radium fix that once, actually, so I will probably build that in DAF at a later date (don't know about the secondary problem).

I'm considering rewriting DAF from scratch and making it more modular (to where technicians can possibly write scripts... I dunno yet).

• 3 months later...

I thought I should come back here and update my "file system problems". I did a search for the message I was getting from the "read only" chkdsk; according to a couple sites I found, it's just a bug it the "read only" mode of chkdsk. WinXP keeps unused security descriptors cached in case they're needed again, the "read only" chkdsk sees these as file system problems, tells you to run with the /F parameter to fix it, which it can't do because there is no problem.

So I've decided it's safe to run DAF again, hoping it will fix some of the minor glitches that have been occurring. I've run MemTest and HDTune, everything checks out healthy, so I'm hopeful.

I don't know everything that's in DAF, but it couldn't hurt, anyway.

Another user has had some desktop shortcuts stop working, or disappear completely (if this had happened to me, I might not consider it minor...). Also, icons from my User Assist History appear in other users' Start menus. Anything in Daf that might help that?

Well, none of that's happened for several days; maybe DAF helped, or maybe it was cleaning the dust out of the computer, or it was just a coincidence. Not gonna worry about it, I'm just glad it's workin' right for now. :love:

Archived