windows installer pops-up at first right click in explorer

olaf

For a few days I observe a strange effect in my win2000prof, SP4 installation.

If I use the right-click or contextmenu in windows explorer the first time after system start - to have a file open with an

application ("open with") - a small grey windos installer window pop-up and stops only after a few hits on "cancel".

After this the right-click-menu works ok (during the whole PC-session) and I can open any kind of files via "open with".

What might be the cause for that behaviour ?

A few moth ago I found dial-a-fix and it helped me to fix an windows installer problem (at that time .msi file did not start).

So I switched again to this tool and selected the installer repair part but without succes. The described problem remains.

I had a CCleaner-run to control the registry. The result:

- no missing dll's or ocx

- a list of activeX/COM problems from applications I deleted quite a while ago (no idea how to get rid of this stuuf)

- a few other entries

Does anybody have an idea how to fix the described problem ? Any hint is welcomed (beside the one "re-install the whole

system - of course).

• Administrator

Welcome to the forums olaf!

Have you tried to let the Windows Installer run it's course?

I'll put this into our Windows 2000 forum so others see what the issue is aimed towards. :happybday:

[ Moved ]

I think this would be a good option to try first, reason is, I had a very similar problem that I cured by doing that yesterday.

For the last week or so when I opened SpywareBlaster, a Windows Installer box would appear, I would click Cancel and SpywareBlaster would open up as normal, yesterday though, I decided to let the installer run just to see what happened, now SpywareBlaster opens up as normal without the Windows Installer box appearing.

I think this would be a good option to try first, reason is, I had a very similar problem that I cured by doing that yesterday.

For the last week or so when I opened SpywareBlaster, a Windows Installer box would appear, I would click Cancel and SpywareBlaster would open up as normal, yesterday though, I decided to let the installer run just to see what happened, now SpywareBlaster opens up as normal without the Windows Installer box appearing.

thanks for your reply. The problem is fixed now. The windows installer tried to configure one of the pdf-printers. I found that quite suprising, but after de-installation of that printer the problem is gone.

Archived