DAF Tools/Repair Permissions - XP Users Deleted

Guest MikeHardy

Guest MikeHardy

Ran repair permissions in front of CCLEANER's fix for Issues.

Reboot XP, my CompAdministrator and orginal Administrator accounts are the only ones left (had 3-4 others).

Data in doc&settings still there.

Did NOT run CCleaner till this is fixed.

ver V0.6.0.0.24

Help. Please.

Guest Mike Hardy

If you are unable to resolve this issue I will notify DjLizard so that he may further assist you if need be. :)

Almost there. Can't rename the SAM or SECURITY files down in c\windows\system32\config\... "File in use by another application or user" excuse. Am I missing that it's mandatory to use the suggested tools either RECOVERY CONSOLE or NTFSDOS Pro ??

I hoped to be able to just copy the files over.

Thanks for your time, refer me if need be.

Off to a swim meet in a couple of mins, back to this soon. Thanks Again, Mike.

Guest Mike Hardy

If you are unable to resolve this issue I will notify DjLizard so that he may further assist you if need be. :happybday:

Almost there. Can't rename the SAM or SECURITY files down in c\windows\system32\config\... "File in use by another application or user" excuse. Am I missing that it's mandatory to use the suggested tools either RECOVERY CONSOLE or NTFSDOS Pro ??

I hoped to be able to just copy the files over.

Got a wave off on the meet. Still here.

I'll look for the OS CD, it was a preload so I'm not sure what I've got.

M.

Guest Mike Hardy

You have to load from your Windows XP install CD to access the Recovery Console.

Booted 2x, went to recovery, It asked for which os to start, there's no obvious answer to type in. Press enter, it exits. Thinking I could create an answer ("1" or something) now it fails on boot "File symc810.sys caused an unexpected error (1024) at line 3529 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\setup.c Press any key to continue. The install has failed, press any key to restart your computer." It restarts.

Given this is a CD I don't know how it's possible.

I'm off to the MS site to see if there's an explanation and work around.

I take it any XP cd would do this, perhaps someone else's Cd would work ??

Thanks, Mike.

Guest mike hardy

You have to load from your Windows XP install CD to access the Recovery Console.

Booted 2x, went to recovery, It asked for which os to start, there's no obvious answer to type in. Press enter, it exits. Thinking I could create an answer ("1" or something) now it fails on boot "File symc810.sys caused an unexpected error (1024) at line 3529 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\setup.c Press any key to continue. The install has failed, press any key to restart your computer." It restarts.

Given this is a CD I don't know how it's possible.

I'm off to the MS site to see if there's an explanation and work around.

I take it any XP cd would do this, perhaps someone else's Cd would work ??

Thanks, Mike.

It appears the only way is to make Recovery Console a permanent boot option, which I don't want to do. I really have no other need for Recovery Console and don't want to have to deny it every time I boot.

Can I create a bootable CD w/ recovery console on it ?? the MS site does not have direction on how.

Anyone ?

Thanks, Mike.

Guest Mike Hardy

Can't find a copy of XP install disk/SP2. I'm still looking.

Tried to do a Restore back to 5x earlier restore points. Each time windows says it cannot restore, choose another restore point. Has DIALAFIX hosed my ability to Restore when I did "repair permissions" ??

My bad feeling about this has soured since Saturday.

There's another note in the instructions about NOT installing RECOVERY CONSOLE because it will hose my restore points, a little late for that I'd say. So now I shouldn't install RC, or where am I really?

Mike

Guest Mike Hardy

Hey DJ,

An earlier article:

https://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Repair_permissions

talks about my problem. It says that the Repair Permissions tool USED to wipe Users:

The repair process may reconfigure the Group Membership lists; check the secrepair.log. In particular, it may remove limited user accounts you have created after installation from the Users group, preventing them from logging on normally. The accounts still exist and can be added back to their group(s) using Computer Management, Local Users and Groups.

Can I use the COMPUTER MANAGEMENT/LOCAL USERS AND GROUPS approach as suggested here??

I had thought to backup the account files and then rename the originals. Then re-create the lost users and copy the files back into the newly created accounts.

Is that a potential solution?

NEXT:

The note says not to INSTALL Recovery Console (to avoid wiping sys restore sytem ckpts) but can I run Recovery Console (from CD?)?

Guest mike hardy

Concerns resolved here.

Thanks to TARUN for good advice and patience.

Still a concern here...

Apparently CC says it has removed some registry problems (178 in my case) but has not. Can CC determine there's a problem and say so?

Am I in the low percentage of folks who experience this? Then for us it would be good to know there's a concern that CC would not be able to fix.

BTW, recommended CC to a friend, he loves it.

When I get thru a little more recovery I'm sure I will too.

Thanks again all. Mike. Finally, a smiley Icon.

Guest mikehardy

Concerns resolved here.

Thanks to TARUN for good advice and patience.

Still a concern here...

Apparently CC says it has removed some registry problems (178 in my case) but has not. Can CC determine there's a problem and say so?

Am I in the low percentage of folks who experience this? Then for us it would be good to know there's a concern that CC would not be able to fix.

BTW, recommended CC to a friend, he loves it.

When I get thru a little more recovery I'm sure I will too.

Thanks again all. Mike. Finally, a smiley Icon.

Naturally I'm in the wrong forum for that comment, but

I read in a DAF Forum somewhere that the "wipes xp users" was fixed in an earlier version. How did I stumble into it? Was I broken (and probably still am?). Surely if this happened to a lot of folks there'd be more problems posted.

How do I know all my "file permissions" have been repaired w/o running the repair tool again? I really don't want to do it again till I know it won't wipe my xp users again.

I would like to understand the scope of DAF tools and will do some more reading up on it.

Thanks, Mike.

Had the same problem with it making the limited accounts disappear. I'm running XP home, so don't have access to the group management thing, but I can still log onto the old account by changing the log on window to the old style where you have to type your user name in. It turns out my account now only has guest priveleges, but I think that's pretty much the same as a limited account anyway.

I don't want to roll back, as DAF did fix the problems I was having.

I'm not worried personally, by the way, I'm just letting you know it is still an issue.

V 0.60.0.24

Had the same problem with it making the limited accounts disappear. I'm running XP home, so don't have access to the group management thing, but I can still log onto the old account by changing the log on window to the old style where you have to type your user name in. It turns out my account now only has guest priveleges, but I think that's pretty much the same as a limited account anyway.

I don't want to roll back, as DAF did fix the problems I was having.

I'm not worried personally, by the way, I'm just letting you know it is still an issue.

V 0.60.0.24

Had the same problem with it making the limited accounts disappear. I'm running XP home. I installed ERUNT* first (lucky me), I ran DAF (limited accounts disappear), I ran ERUNT, the limited accounts appear !!

*--See DAF Tips, 'Other application-specific issues', 'CCleaner'

DAF v0.60.0.24 Neil

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived