Problem with DAF on W2003 Server

Guest Lothar

Guest Lothar

I try to run DAF v0.60.0.24 on a Windows 2003 Server and get a message

sc.exe was not found in c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator\Windows\system32. This will severely affect Dial-a-fix's ability to configure services. Please extract this file from your installation media and restart Dial-a-fix. DAF will skip all SC commands until this file is present.

Similar messages for net.exe, net1.exe, netsh.exe, and regsvr32.exe. c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator\Windows\system32 is the wrong place to look for these programs. They reside in c:\Windows\system32!

How can I tell DAF to look at the right place?

Thanks in advance

Lothar

I've never gotten to test Dial-a-fix in Windows Server 2003 because I don't have a copy (apparently there's a trial I can download now), so it's officially not supported in it, but it should have worked...

I agree with Eldmannen, check to see that %WINDIR% points to C:\WINDOWS... otherwise I have no idea. This version of Dial-a-fix uses the JEDI JVCL's System Info component and I haven't looked into how it checks for that folder (I would hope it asks Windows via the SHGetSpecialFolderLocation function).

The next version (which I am writing now) is written in C and everything will be done The Right Way, without third-party components. I will do everything by hand to make sure there is nobody screwing me over (like the JVCL, Borland, or anyone else's software).

Alternatively, you could just make c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator\Windows\system32 and copy sc.exe into there if it really is just a DAF bug (from not being tested in 2003). I'm not sure you will want to run Dial-a-fix though, since like I said, it hasn't been tested in 2003. DAF might get the service permissions wrong (or something) due to this not being XP.

What problems are you having, perhaps I can find a safer, manual way to help you fix it?

Guest Lothar

I've never gotten to test Dial-a-fix in Windows Server 2003 because I don't have a copy (apparently there's a trial I can download now), so it's officially not supported in it, but it should have worked...

I agree with Eldmannen, check to see that %WINDIR% points to C:\WINDOWS... otherwise I have no idea. This version of Dial-a-fix uses the JEDI JVCL's System Info component and I haven't looked into how it checks for that folder (I would hope it asks Windows via the SHGetSpecialFolderLocation function).

The next version (which I am writing now) is written in C and everything will be done The Right Way, without third-party components. I will do everything by hand to make sure there is nobody screwing me over (like the JVCL, Borland, or anyone else's software).

Alternatively, you could just make c:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Administrator\Windows\system32 and copy sc.exe into there if it really is just a DAF bug (from not being tested in 2003). I'm not sure you will want to run Dial-a-fix though, since like I said, it hasn't been tested in 2003. DAF might get the service permissions wrong (or something) due to this not being XP.

What problems are you having, perhaps I can find a safer, manual way to help you fix it?

Hello DjLizard and Eldmannen,

Thank you for replying. %WINDIR% points to C:\WINDOWS. What I wanted DAF to do for me is cleanup windows update. I have a problem installing a patch and saw a posting that mentioned to cleanup download direcetories etc with the DAF utility. I dont know if you can just rm these files or if you have to follow a special procedure (ie shut down services before and reboot after). Now I will take a look at DAF's tooltips and type the commands manually. Thank you for offering more help but I think we can close this topic.

Have a nice week

Lothar

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Use the "Flush SoftwareDistribution" button, but beware - I've never done this in Windows Server 2003.

hi you can get a demo from MS....I just need to flush this folder so i can get some space back . Is it safe to manually delete??

Btw, i have same problem as most on this thread

On Xp i got back 500+ MB !!!!

Archived