Another Win Update problem

alhama

Hi. I found Dial-A-Fix mentioned on the Microsoft website so I downloaded it last night. I am using Windows XP with SP-2 applied. I have been having problems getting 3 of the last critical updates. I found one fix of stopping SpyBot's Teatimer that got me out of one problem (getting Win Updates site to work), but now I still can't get the updates, they will not download. I ran Dial-A-Fix tonight then looked at the WindowsUpdate.log file. The error in that file is 0x80242008 for all the updates. It says it is FATAL. Is it??

What can I do next to get these updates? The updates are KB917344, 929969 and 933566. I did download the separate files for them yesterday, but hoped that Dial-A-Fix would fix something so I could get them "normally" so I have not attempted to install them separately from the files. I would like Windows Update to run right rather than have to download files all the time.

Thanks!

• Administrator

Welcome to Lunarsoft, alhama!

Here's a bit of information on your error.

0x80242008 - WU_E_UH_OPERATIONCANCELLED - An operation being done by the update handler was cancelled.

Where is your Program Files directory located? As I've been researching your error code, I have found that many people are having their update fail all had their Program Files on another drive or partition like D:/.

Welcome to Lunarsoft, alhama!

Here's a bit of information on your error.

0x80242008 - WU_E_UH_OPERATIONCANCELLED - An operation being done by the update handler was cancelled.

Where is your Program Files directory located? As I've been researching your error code, I have found that many people are having their update fail all had their Program Files on another drive or partition like D:/.

My Program Files folder is on C.

I would also like to let you know that I AM able to get other updates. I got .NET Framework 2.0 and its 3 updates yesterday with no problems. It seems to only be these three updates, and KB933566 has been trying to update on its own since June 12th!

• Administrator

Open Dial-a-fix and click the Flush SoftwareDistribution button. Click No to the message-box prompt. After doing this, click the green checkmark button and click Go.

You may also want to check your services settings. Automatic Updates (Set to Automatic), Background Intelligent Transfer Service (Set to Manual) and Cryptographic Services (Set to Automatic).

After that, give Windows Update another try. I'm sure DjLizard will also check on this thread, since it pertains to Dial-a-fix. We'll get your issue resolved. :hello:

Open Dial-a-fix and click the Flush SoftwareDistribution button. Click No to the message-box prompt. After doing this, click the green checkmark button and click Go.

You may also want to check your services settings. Automatic Updates (Set to Automatic), Background Intelligent Transfer Service (Set to Manual) and Cryptographic Services (Set to Automatic).

After that, give Windows Update another try. I'm sure DjLizard will also check on this thread, since it pertains to Dial-a-fix. We'll get your issue resolved. :hello:

I (sadly) flushed the history.

My service settings you listed were already set as you suggested.

Windows update failed again:

Installation Failure

Error Code: 0x80242008

BTW, Tarun, I think it was your suggestion on the MS forum to disable Teatimer for Win Updates? It worked -- til I got to the downloads! :D

I look forward to checking back tomorrow for any new info from you or DjLizard-- Thank you!

• Administrator

Clicking No one the prompt that appeared for the SoftwareDistribution flushing simply made sure that everything in that folder was erased. This often cures many errors.

Please attach your windowsupdate.log file. You can find it in C:\Windows\windowsupdate.log

BTW, Tarun, I think it was your suggestion on the MS forum to disable Teatimer for Win Updates? It worked -- til I got to the downloads! :hello:

Do you happen to have a link to that? If not, it's fine; just made me curious. :D

Clicking No one the prompt that appeared for the SoftwareDistribution flushing simply made sure that everything in that folder was erased. This often cures many errors.

Please attach your windowsupdate.log file. You can find it in %systemroot%\windowsupdate.log

BTW, Tarun, I think it was your suggestion on the MS forum to disable Teatimer for Win Updates? It worked -- til I got to the downloads! :hello:

Do you happen to have a link to that? If not, it's fine; just made me curious. :D

The current WindowsUpdate.log file is 1,975 k so I copied 7/19 and 7/20 into two separate files. I don't think I can attach the 7/19. It is 198 k and I see that there is a 150 k limit. I will try, I guess in a second post. (This attachment system here is new to me, hope it works.) July 20th is attached. I think.

The link to that post by "TaurArian" (not you after all, I guess) is:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...amp;m=1&p=1

WinUpdateLog072007.txt

• Administrator

There are two things we can try.

In Dial-a-fix click the Tools button (hammer icon) and select Reinstall Automatic Updates service. When it has finished, see if your update works. If it does not, proceed to running the Reinstall BITS option, since BITS also works with Windows Update it can also resolve your issue. Or, if you so wish you could reinstall both (AU and BITS) and then do your Windows Update.

The next option would be to run the System File Checker. In Dial-a-fix click the Tools button (hammer icon) and at the bottom select SFC scan. You may be prompted to insert your Windows CD or direct it to your i386 directory.

This will check for any issues with your currently installed files to be sure they have not been altered or tampered with in any way.

There are two things we can try.

In Dial-a-fix click the Tools button (hammer icon) and select Reinstall Automatic Updates service. When it has finished, see if your update works. If it does not, proceed to running the Reinstall BITS option, since BITS also works with Windows Update it can also resolve your issue. Or, if you so wish you could reinstall both (AU and BITS) and then do your Windows Update.

The next option would be to run the System File Checker. In Dial-a-fix click the Tools button (hammer icon) and at the bottom select SFC scan. You may be prompted to insert your Windows CD or direct it to your i386 directory.

This will check for any issues with your currently installed files to be sure they have not been altered or tampered with in any way.

Tarun - I just printed out what you suggested and I will try it. I suppose I should reboot before trying Windows Update again?

Was there anything weird in the log files?

This error caught my attention:

FATAL: Error: 0x8007045a. wuauclt datastore: failed to load wuaueng

I hate when something in computerize says "fatal". What does that mean in this case?

I tried all the things you said.

The first one, Reinstall Auto Updates, forced a reboot so that answered that question. But NO GO on the update downloads.

When I ran reinstall BITS, it would not accept the i386 folder or any other that had the 8/4/04 files in them so that was a bomb.

The SFC scan ran okay, asking for the Installation CD about 10-12 times, but a try to get the updates again after it was a NO GO. (It does not allow a redirect to the i386 folder, it only points to the installation CD.)

All three failed attempts have error code 0x80080008.

After looking at the KB logs for these three files I realized the oldest one KB917344, had been trying to do its thing since 6/14/2006 (before I hid it in Updates to stop it from its unsuccessful d/l). Back then I did email MS support, but after many many emails, they wanted me to reinstall IE6 and then I had no time to do so.

Speaking of IE, I noticed that Dial-A-Fix has a repair/reinstall IE. Would it help to run that?

I am running IE6 because QuickBooks' older versions that I must use for business are not compatible with IE7. (I use Firefox for everything except Win updates anyway.)

The other two updates are Jan 9 and June 23 this year. At least they are more recent. Any more ideas, or should I just hide these and forget it til the next time I have a problem? Other updates seem to be downloading and installing okay. For now anyway.

I was just looking at the Windows discussions Groups for this error 0x80080008 and that TaurArian said to someone who just reinstalled XP Home:

------------------------------------------------------------------

TaurArian [MS-MVP] 7/11/2007 4:14 AM PST

0x80080008 - CO E SERVER STOPPING

At some stage there was a break between you and the server that you were connected to when

trying to download updates.

Since you recently reformatted and reinstalled, check that you have the latest Windows

Installer

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

If you need to reinstall the ActiveX controls (because they may have become corrupt):-

Follow this article -

The Windows Update Web site and the Microsoft Update Web site do not scan for updates when

you repair a failed installation of Windows XP Service Pack 2 or of Windows XP Service

Pack 1

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916259

The article still mentions the old WU client so use the new WU Client 3.0

WU Client 3.0 - Windows Update Agent:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windo...Agent30-x86.exe

or for the 64 bit version

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windo...Agent30-x64.exe

--

====================================

TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia

====================================

Could that be correct?? Is it merely a break in the server connection?? It may be MS servers since everything at this end seems fine......

I can't beleve that it would happen every time though. What do you think?

This error caught my attention:

FATAL: Error: 0x8007045a. wuauclt datastore: failed to load wuaueng

Does wuaueng mean Windows Update Automatic Update Engine?

After reading more posts at the Windows Discussions, I checked my Windows Downloads folder. The three files show as downloaded last night at 10:44pm, after I had used Dial-A-Fix. Should I delete them and try to download again? Maybe that is interfering with the download and subsequent installation?

I found a Windows Update error code list. Doesn't have help, but tells you something about the error.

" 0x8007045A -2147023782 ERROR_DLL_INIT_FAILED"

In case you need it, the site is:

http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/wuc.htm

I am not going to do anything else tonight with the updates. I will wait til you have a chance to wade through all my posts and reply.

Thanks for your help!!!!

:hello:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for reply -- anyone?

Well, I guess I will move on to another forum where there are replies. I found another potential problem just today, where the BITS are not loading, "file not found". That was in my Update log when I sent it to you, but I guess it was missed. Dial-A-Fix did not fix it.

It was nice - until the responses stopped, over a month ago.

See ya.

• Administrator

Sorry that you feel that way. Many of us have been very busy recently and though there has been no recent posts to your issue, it is being looked into.

As for the File Not Found issue with BITS, use the Dial-a-fix Tools section and select Reinstall BITS, followed by clicking GO.

I'm moving this to the Dial-a-fix forum since this is related to Dial-a-fix usage.

Archived