Future JavaRa

fredvries

To be done (1.05 release):

• add logfile support
  • fix bug where browser window is opened even if program is closed
  • take care of patch files in update\base images\jre*
  • take care of jupdate logs in system32
  • Make the program a complete stand alone for portability with the readme documentation build into it.
  • FIX: Always says: "Finished searching for and removing JRE startup entries." or "Finished searching for all old versions of the JRE that were found on this system." even if there was no entry
  • FIX: There is no code to prevent the program from running multiple times.

• 2 months later...
Guest Alex

I'd like to be able to take JavaRa, create a simple script such that when run it cleans out any and all old versions of java, plus the log files and extra junk. Also, it removes any traces of it being there.

So I can go to any computer and run the script and be sure that it did it's job and left no trace.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to be able to take JavaRa, create a simple script such that when run it cleans out any and all old versions of java, plus the log files and extra junk. Also, it removes any traces of it being there.

So I can go to any computer and run the script and be sure that it did it's job and left no trace.

I'll look into it. Thanks for your thoughts.

same here, i'd like to automate the process and especially not open the log file when its done.

i'm an it consultant, and often i need to do some clean up on computers, that is, remove old obsolete software, and this tool would be very usefull for me.

if there were command line options, like where to get the java files, like a network share, and remove old ones before installing the update

from a batch file would be good.

• 3 months later...

I just ran JavaRA and it removed the extra Java from my "C:\Program Files" but ignored the ones in "D:\apps". (I install most things onto D to keep C from filling up.) How about having it check the registry for where Java is actually installed, instead of just looking at "C:\Program Files"?

• 1 month later...

Just came across JavaRa today, and to me it seems in the main quite nice for what it does and (presumably) does so for an intended audience of "dummy" users who are faced with the stark reality of JRE Hell and don't know how to go releasing themselves from the inferno.

But I reckon there's one or two issues with it for certain users (like myself).

Firstly, there should be a "Display Currently Installed Versions" button that merely searches your system for JREs and shows you a list of the JREs that are there. The problem with the "Search For Updates" button taking you to the Sun download page is that you might be the sort of user who doesn't have a clue how to determine what's already installed, so how would you know when you go to the Sun site whether or not you need to bother installing the latest (since you might already have it)?

The list of currently-installed versions should certainly also be displayed under the "Remove Older Versions" option, with a check box against each so that you can leave old version(s) that you may need when some other product depends on (say, is only certified against) a certain old version?

For example, right now JRE 6u12 is the latest available, but I might also want/need to keep, say, JRE 1.5.0-10 or similar because some product that I'm dependent -- let me hypothesize and quote IBM Lotus Notes v7.0.3 as such a product (but I think it's an inaccurate hypothesis) -- on is certified against nothing newer than that particular old version.

All I'm pointing out is that for many users removing ALL old versions will be fine, but this won't be the case for a certain minority. So I'm recommending that JavaRa be enhanced to support that important minority too.

Archived