JDK Support!

Guest Wary

Guest Wary

Hello,

I like your JavaRe! I would love it, if you could add JDK support.

The JDK installs the JRE too.

Hello,

I like your JavaRe! I would love it, if you could add JDK support.

The JDK installs the JRE too.

We will see. However, is it really necessary to remove the Java Development Kit? Do old versions really pose much of a security risk?

Thanks for your thoughts.

• 2 months later...

Well, The JDK contains the JRE, so security risks are the same.

Also the thing is a few hundred MB. You don't want to many of them on your HD

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I had to finally register over here, Fred and Tarun, to let you know about how and why I am using JavaRa.

I am currently in school pursuing dual majors in Computer Science and Mathematics, and I am also working with the University's IT dept. We are in the process of taking control of a lot of machines on campus and instituting images using Norton Ghost to push the images out. Our Comp Sci dept teaches all programming classes in Java, and I now have the responsibility of maintaining a couple of labs - one stocked with iMacs and one with standard Dell PCs.

It is not always feasible to build a new image (especially with the Macs as we don't have any licenses for Ghost on OS X, if such a rascal even exists) so I am having to update the Java JRE and JDKs manually. I currently have a batch file that runs the installation of the latest (which was just released a week ago or so, 6U10) and then running JavaRa to remove older versions (I haven't explored commandline options as of yet because I just built the batch file on Wednesday to simplify the installation process (it does a lot more than just these two, BTW - I'll post it in a minute).

Some of these machines I have run into have 3,4 even 5 different JDKs installed as they have been previously maintained by professors who teach the courses as opposed to the IT dept - again, we're changing that, but it takes multiple acts of Congress to wrest control of the machines from them - and sometimes justifiably so.

At any rate, I have had to manually write routines to remove the JDK as JavaRa doesn't do so, but it would be *really* nice if the JDKs could also be removed with the app.

(of course, in a perfect world, it would be even cooler if the JRE/JDK installers did it themselves....)

Another suggestion - could you make the app *optionally* allow the user to select *which* version(s) to remove? I have one lab that *has* to have an older version of the JRE installed because of compatibility with WebCT, since our institution is not going to get rolled out to version 8 of WebCT for another year due to extensive testing by the University System in our state....

Mind you - just a wishlist of things - not going to cry if you can't / won't implement them. The app still rocks.

P.S - my batch file

@echo off
pause

echo "Installing Hide last username registry entry"
regedit XP_Don't_Show_Last_User_Login.reg

echo "Installing Flash Player ActiveX"
install_flash_player.exe

echo "Installing Flash Player Plugin"
install_flash_player_10_active_x.exe

echo "Installing Shockwave Player"
Shockwave_Installer_Slim.exe

echo "Installing JRE 6_u_10"
jre-6u10-windows-i586-p.exe

echo "Installing JDK 6_u_10"
jdk-6u10-windows-i586-p.exe

echo "Copying JAVA Docs to Program Files\JAVA\"
xcopy docs "c:\Program Files\Java\docs\" /e/i/h/r/k/y/q

echo "Loading JavaRa"
JavaRa.exe

echo "Installing JCreator 4.50 LE"
jcrea450_setup.exe

echo "Installing jGRASP 1.86_11"
jgrasp186_11.exe

echo "Installing NetBeans 6.1"
netbeans-6.1-ml-windows.exe

echo "Installing Open Office 3.0"
OOo_3.0.0_Win32Intel_install_wJRE_en-US.exe
pause

echo "Running jGRASP"
"C:\Program Files\jGRASP\bin\jgrasp.exe"

echo "Running OpenOffice 3.0"
"C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.exe"
pause

echo "Removing OO.o Installation folder"
rd /s/q "C:\Documents and Settings\FVSU IT\Desktop\OpenOffice.org 3.0 (en-US) Installation Files"

echo "Removing old OO.o folder from FVSU profile"
rd /s/q "C:\Documents and Settings\FVSU IT\Application Data\OpenOffice.org2"

echo "Removing old JAVA folders from FVSU Profile"
rd /s/q "C:\Documents and Settings\FVSU IT\Application Data\Sun\Java\jdk1.6.0_07"
rd /s/q "C:\Documents and Settings\FVSU IT\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_04"

echo "Removing old JAVA folders from Program Files"
rd /s/q "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_07"
rd /s/q "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_04"

echo "Removing OO.o 2.4 Shortcut from Start Menu"
rd /s/q "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\OpenOffice.org 2.4"

echo "Removing OO.o 2.4 folder from Program Files"
rd /s/q "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.4"

echo "Moving jGRASP shortcut to Quick Launch"
move /y "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\jGRASP.lnk" "C:\Documents and Settings\FVSU IT\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\"

echo "Moving OO.o 3 shortcut to Quick Launch"
move /y "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\OpenOffice.org 3.0.lnk" "C:\Documents and Settings\FVSU IT\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\"

echo "Copying Firefox shortcut to Quick Launch"
copy "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Mozilla Firefox\Mozilla Firefox.lnk" "C:\Documents and Settings\FVSU IT\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\"

echo "Copying Netscape shortcut to Quick Launch"
copy "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Netscape Navigator\Netscape Navigator.lnk" "C:\Documents and Settings\FVSU IT\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\"

echo "Copying NetBeans shortcut to Quick Launch"
copy "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\NetBeans\NetBeans IDE 6.1.lnk" "C:\Documents and Settings\FVSU IT\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\"

echo "Copying Maple 12 shortcut to Quick Launch"
copy "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Maple 12\Maple 12.lnk" "C:\Documents and Settings\FVSU IT\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\"

echo "Copying Maple Calculator shortcut to Quick Launch"
copy "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Maple 12\Maple Calculator.lnk" "C:\Documents and Settings\FVSU IT\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\"

echo "Creating Disk Cleanup Profile"
cleanmgr /d c: /sageset:65535

echo "Running Disk Cleanup profile"
cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

echo "Clearing IE History"
RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 4351

echo "That's all folks!"
pause

Archived