Case of simulatanious JRE versions

jgurtz

So the case is where JBoss application server is running on a box and there is an older version 5 JRE installed to a seperate directory with environment vars for a Java web app that is not compatible with version 6 JRE. This version 5 JRE is only run in the context of Java servlets under tomcat etc... At the same time, latest version 6 JRE is installed normally for running applets in browser and local desktop java applications due to security concerns and latest performance enhancements.

So question is: what does javara do in this case when removing older versions? Is it possible to mark and update seperatly 2 different versions on the same machine. I.E. security patch for 5 comes out so install that and also keep version 6 updated to latest?

Seems tough and this is more just food for thought as I think I would always manually update a server.

So the case is where JBoss application server is running on a box and there is an older version 5 JRE installed to a seperate directory with environment vars for a Java web app that is not compatible with version 6 JRE. This version 5 JRE is only run in the context of Java servlets under tomcat etc... At the same time, latest version 6 JRE is installed normally for running applets in browser and local desktop java applications due to security concerns and latest performance enhancements.

So question is: what does javara do in this case when removing older versions? Is it possible to mark and update seperatly 2 different versions on the same machine. I.E. security patch for 5 comes out so install that and also keep version 6 updated to latest?

Seems tough and this is more just food for thought as I think I would always manually update a server.

JavaRa will only look for JRE versions living in Program Files\Java\. It will not look anywhere else in Program Files. You will have to either remove those older versions manually, or leave them be for right now. Right now it is not possible to do what you are saying.

Hope that helps.

Archived