mail sending error

Guest Dave

Guest Dave

Sony Vaio - running Windows XP home - until a few days ago running perfectly.

After downloading a windows update the other day, it will no longer send mail (error message below) , everything else, including internet connection, and receiving mail, is fine.

I've read a million and one things online about this, and how to cure it, but nothing has worked. I've even re-formatted, and re-installed windows (and nothing else) and it still happens !!!!

I know it's not an ISP mail server issue (or mail sat on the server), as my desktop, and another pc are connecting without any problems. I've also got a mail server on my domain - exactly the same with that one.

I've also tried it with 'dial up' (internal modem), and also with a mobile (cellphone) data card.

I've ran 'dial-a-fix' and it has not picked up ANY errors.

Error: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'youraccount', Server: 'smtp.orange.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Anyone experienced this ........... and any suggestions, advice, would be appreciated

TIA

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't really make sense that you could format/reinstall and still have the problem while other PCs are connecting to the SMTP just fine. When you reinstalled, are you using a recovery disc that deploys a bunch of Sony junk? What antivirus/security package is installed? (Remove it!)

I have no clue about this problem, but you will need to register on the forums and then have this moved to the appropriate tech support section since it is not a Dial-a-fix issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mail Man

The error message indicates that your mail server require authentication (username and password) before it will accept outgoing messages. This can be set in OE and Windows Mail through the Tools menu -> Accounts ->click the Mail tab -> click Properties button -> click Servers tab -> put a check in My server requires authentication -> click Settings button -> put a dot in Log on using and fillin the username (usually your email address minus @yourprovider.com), password and check the remember password box. Use all the OK buttons an the close button to finish.

Some providers require the full email address here, so add the ending if needed.

Sony Vaio - running Windows XP home - until a few days ago running perfectly.

After downloading a windows update the other day, it will no longer send mail (error message below) , everything else, including internet connection, and receiving mail, is fine.

I've read a million and one things online about this, and how to cure it, but nothing has worked. I've even re-formatted, and re-installed windows (and nothing else) and it still happens !!!!

I know it's not an ISP mail server issue (or mail sat on the server), as my desktop, and another pc are connecting without any problems. I've also got a mail server on my domain - exactly the same with that one.

I've also tried it with 'dial up' (internal modem), and also with a mobile (cellphone) data card.

I've ran 'dial-a-fix' and it has not picked up ANY errors.

Error: The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'youraccount', Server: 'smtp.orange.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Anyone experienced this ........... and any suggestions, advice, would be appreciated

TIA

Dave

Archived