DEFRAG - REPAIR PERMISSIONS

Guest Steven (UK)

Guest Steven (UK)

:) I am using Dial-a-Fix v0.60.0.24 on XP Home SP2 (having very recently uninstalled SP3).

I have 3 User Accounts : the in-built Administrator plus 2 Users (called "A" and "B") with Administrator rights.

Operating as User "A" :

After uninstalling SP3 I encountered a "permissions" issue whereby jscript.dll and vbscript.dll would not register using regsvr32.

To solve this "permissions" problem I ran the "repair permissions" 'module' of Dial-a-Fix. The "repair permissions" module appeared to work and solved my problem.

Shortly afterwards, I attempted to run "defrag" directly via : All Programs - Accessories - System Tools, but got the following error message :

"MMC cannot open the file C:\Windows\System32\dfrg.msc

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file."

Operating as User "B" :

There is no problem and I can run defrag directly via All Programs etc.

Operating as User "A" :

I subsequently discovered that I can run defrag via "Computer Management" but still can't directly via All Programs.

QUESTIONS : Is this new problem with defrag connected to my running the "repair permissions" module from Dial-a-Fix ? Any suggested explanations and solutions ? Will "repair defrag" help ?

Many Thanks :)

Guest Steven (UK)

Sounds like it might be a problem due to uninstalling SP3. Try reinstalling SP3 and see if the issues persist.

Thanks for this. I'll try your suggestion over the weekend and report back.

Guest Steven (UK)

Sounds like it might be a problem due to uninstalling SP3. Try reinstalling SP3 and see if the issues persist.

Thanks for this. I'll try your suggestion over the weekend and report back.

Didn't get around to reinstalling SP3, but, I'm pretty sure this is not the cause, because when I try to run Dfrg.msc when operating as USER A by double-clicking direct on the file, it won't run (same error message as already shown), but if I operate as USER A but "run as USER B", it does run. Hence I think it is a permissions issue.

Anyone with any more advice ?

• 2 months later...
Guest Steven(UK)

After much searching around the web etc the only "solution" I've found which seems to work is to download and install MMC 3.0 from Microsoft.

Recent searches of the web indicate it is something arising from uninstalling SP3 and a few reports of the issue are found - but most of these 'hang' unanswered - none of the suggestions other than MMC 3.0 seem to work. :jump:

Archived