VirtuaWin 4.1 Beta 1

RTZ

VirtuaWin 4.1 Beta 1

File Size: 387 KB

License: Open Source

Operating System: Windows (All)

HomePage: http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/

Modules: http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/modules.php

VirtuaWin is a virtual desktop manager for the Windows operating system (Win9x/ME/NT/Win2K/XP/Win2003/Vista). A virtual desktop manager lets you organize applications over several virtual desktops (also called 'workspaces'). Virtual desktops are very common in Unix/Linux, and once you get accustomed to using them, they become an essential part of a productive workflow.

VirtuaWin is designed to be simple and elegant to use yet still be highly configurable and extensible.

VirtuaWin supports modules for adding functionality without adding more features to the core application itself.

This will insure that VirtuaWin will remain as small and fast as possible but still have the possibilities to add features for special needs.

To use a module, just put the module in the 'modules' directory in your VirtuaWin installation directory, and upon startup or if the reload button is pressed in the setup dialog, the module should kick in.The module idea is quite simple; a module consists of an ordinary windows executable that communicates with

VirtuaWin by sending messages.

Download the module SDK (VirtuaWin_SDK_3.1.zip) to get more information and code (in C) for module development. Any developing language supporting windows executables should be usable for developing modules.

Nice little tool.

Only 387 kb, I like that it is very minimalistic. Small things are beautiful.

For Windows-damaged people, it can take a bit of time to get into the whole virtual desktop thing. Many Windows users who migrate to Linux still use only one virtual desktop, because thats what they are used to.

I run Ubuntu (Linux) with 4 virtual desktops. I use Compiz so they're attached to a semi-transparent rotatable 3D cube, which is pretty nifty.