Microsoft Installer problem

Ryttarn

I have problem with my MSI, when i try to install a MSI file i got error as follow:

The windows installer Service could not be accessed.

This can occur if you are running windows in safe mode, or if the windows installer is not correctly installed.

When i run Dial-a-fix i got an error when restart windows installer, the logg is telling:

--- MSI ---

19:29:26 | Error during registration of C:\WINDOWS\system32\msi.dll - version: . The error returned is: An event was unable to invoke any of the subscribers

(-2147220991)

what can i do to repair this?

Hey I have exactlly the same error!!

Welcome to Lunarsoft Ryttarn!

You may want to try installing the Windows Installer over the pre-existing version. The latest version is 4.5 and can be downloaded here.

Hi there, just tried the updater, it errored as well. I was to slow to catch the error code. I will try again in the morning..... this isnt looking hopefull.:(

Here was the error I had:

KB942288-V3 Setup could not backup Registry Key. HKCR\CLSID|{000101D-000-000-C000-000000000046}\DllVersion to file C:\Windows\$NtUninstall KB942288-V3$\reg00046. 5: Access deined.

Any and all help is great.

Cheers.

Guest Guest - Benjamin

I am a Sysadmin for a REALTOR association with around 5k members. In the past 2 weeks, I have had 4 3rd tier escalations from our members for this specific error. I have yet to determine the cause or a solution. I was encouraged by Dial A Fix. Unfortunately, I have the exact same results as above (no need to duplicate their output).

Restarting the service (it is a start on demand service that only relies on the RPC Call) had no effect.

Attempting to install the most current Windows installer results in an error due to the installer not running

Attempting to upgrade to SP3 results in a slightly different error (I only tried that on one machine and ended up rebuilding it for the member)

I have one machine to test with for another day before I have to offer a rebuild of Windows to get that member functional.

One strange common factor I noticed prior to finding out about the Installer service being broken is that each of the machines would receive scripting errors in IE. Just tossing out a symptom in case others can relate or offer alternate suggestions.

I have heard that Dial-a-fix can also resolve issues if run more than once. It's rare but it can happen.

Unfortunately, that is not the case here.

The log file lists this consistently - each time it's run:

Error during registration of C:\WINDOWS\system32\msi.dll – version:.The error returned is: An event was unable to invoke any of the subscribers(-2147220997)

Archived