File Size: 7.9 MB (Installer)

License: Open Source

Operating Systems: Windows95, WIndows XP, Windows Vista, Linux, Mac Os

HomePage: http://www.amsn-project.net/index.php

Screenshots: http://www.amsn-project.net/screenshots.php

aMSN is an free open source MSN Messenger clone, featuring:

» Offline Messaging

» Voice Clips

» A New Login Window & Contact List (As of 0.97)

» Display pictures

» Custom emoticons

» Multi-language support (around 40 languages currently supported)

» Sign in to more than one account at once

» File transfers

» Group support

» Normal, and animated emoticons with sounds

» Chat logs

» Event alarms

» Webcam support

» History in color

» Ability to autoclose the filetransfer window when it is finished

» New plugins log window (Alt-P)

» Plugins compatible with supported languages

» Faster loading skin window

» Skins in chatwindow

» Resizable chatwindow bottom

» When you add a new user, you can define in which group you want to add them

» When a contact change status, the top of the chat window changes color ( green for away, grey for offline, etc.)

» New panel GUI to alert when there's a new aMSN version

» Possibility to download the new release directly by aMSN

» Automatically update language files and plugins from the web

» New gui for deleting users (also possible to block on deletion)

» Possible to add notes for each user (XML)

» Support for MSN Mobile service

» Tabbed windows so you can group conversations using tabs

» Status is displayed inside a frame, so it won't dissapear when you scroll

» Display picture in notification alert (like MSN 7)

» Statistics for history (logging)

» Now possible to choose any state for your login status (before it was only possible to login invisible or online)

» Timestamping

But that's not all! More features can be added to aMSN with plugins, or for the adventurous, completely change the look of aMSN with different skins!

I'm using it and for my PC, It is loading as fast, as my ancient outlook MSN that came with the operating system. Also no ads like live MSN . It is feature rich without using additional add on such as A Patch. Yet still offers an abundance of plug ins skins etc. for those users so inclined to having all the bells and whistles. Plus has the added bonus that it is open source. This only my own personal opinion and does not in any form or fashion express the opinion of Lunarsoft.net

I'm using it and for my PC, It is loading as fast, as my ancient outlook MSN that came with the operating system. Also no ads like live MSN . It is feature rich without using additional add on such as A Patch. Yet still offers an abundance of plug ins skins etc. for those users so inclined to having all the bells and whistles. Plus has the added bonus that it is open source.

It is feature laden, and adless (but so is WLM with A-Patch), but it is still missing some essential features IMO; chat while appear offline, Yahoo interoperability and Shared folder support. In addition, it take longer for me to connect, and the UI isn't as nice. If it had the above features, and connected as quick, I'd use it. Same goes for a lot of open-source stuff, like OpenOffice. But I imagine over time they will equal or be better than other commercial software.

This proves that after all is said and done that it all comes down to personal preference. What is ideal for one person is not another person's cup of tea and I totally respect your views.

This proves that after all is said and done that it all comes down to personal preference. What is ideal for one person is not another person's cup of tea and I totally respect your views.

I don't totally agree. For example. if aMSN had all these features, I'd recommend it to everyone. Indeed, I just downloaded and installed this for the hell of it, connects just as fast so I take that back. If the features were there, I'd use this, but it doesn't, which is annoying. Its cool that there are loads of skins though. Are they open-source as well?

Also, I ant to get rid of the mobile group, and whats up with this red box and X sign next to certain contacts?

And why cna't I view the display pics of people who are offline?

EDIT: I just uninstalled it. People were saying they couldn't see my display picture. And it didn't pick up my personal message.

I think it might be a while before I feel satisfied when using this, but please answer my questions.

I repeat my previous reply and everyone uses what they feel is the best for their needs. i just downloaded this and im only giving an article to the forum as a subject of interest I am not trying to push this particular IM. no where in my article do i do that, i'm by no means a technocrat to be able to answer those questions . I simply like you gave my view and we both do not agree so I respect your opinion. This is great I'm glad I at least sparked a good discussion and I will also try live MSN a bit later with the Apatch cause I really need to look at it closely and and let you know personally my opinion. But you have made some excellent points and its worth it to me to take a second look at Live MSN and APatch. Thank you for the informative discussion.