PureRa

fredvries

PureRa is a simple tool that does a simple job: it removes files from your computer that other mainstream cleaning programs tend to oversee. Some of our targets can simply be removed to create some valuable space while others are removed in an attempt to repair certain problems because they will simply recreate themselves.

Downloadable here.

[13sep08] PureRa 1.0 beta

- Initial release

- PureRa 1.0 beta removes:

* Thumbs.db [when you view the contents of a folder in ‘Thumbnail’ or ‘Filmstrip’ view a system file called Thumbs.db is generated automatically by Windows XP. Thumbs.db contains a copy of each of the tiny preview images generated for image files in that folder so that they load up quickly the next time you browse that folder. Thumbs.db also stores your settings with regard to thumbnail and filmstrip view. Though they are small they may annoy you because there may be hundreds of them]

* Iconcache.db [The icons used in Windows are saved in an icon cache. These can become corrupted and lead to garbled/fuzzy icons. Deleting the Iconcache.db file will force Windows to re-create itself flawlessly]

* .sqm-files [sqm-files are created by MSM Messenger and MSN Live Messenger. It is rumored that they are created to become the reports that these programs will send if you turn on the option to allow Microsoft to gather information about your use of MSN Live Messenger (read surfing behavior). These reports are still being generated (as sqm-files) but not send]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest VaEsther

Good afternoon,

I was reading through TSG's forum and came across this information about PureRa.

Recently whenever I add an icon to the quick start menu it becomes corrupted and will no longer access its service. I get a message indicating file no longer available, it may have been renamed, removed or deleted. This happens even with 2 icons on the quick start.

I do not like icons on the desktop and have enough on the quick launch. To solve the quick start menu problem. I accessed properties and unticked "store recently opened files and programs." This removed the line that divided the quick start portion of the start menu. Now the only icons added to the start menu are the ones I put there. Since this procedure, I have had only one incident of an icon becoming corrupt.

After reading the above posts, I was wondering if PureRa could be the answer to the above problem.

VaEsther

[27sep08] RaProducts' PureRa updated to version 1.1.

Changes:

[New] Added cleaning for Desktop.ini, Config.msi

[New] Added new screen that shows the targets

[New] Added 'ToolTips' and 'Check All' option

[New] Added Spanish translation of program's description in About-dialog

[Fixed] Vastly improved appearance of PureRa's icon (Thanks to Tarun)

Downloadable here.

• 5 weeks later...

[27oct08] RaProducts' PureRa updated to version 1.2.

Changes:

[New] Added cleaning for Windows Update Installation Files, SoftwareDistribution Logs

[New] Alphabetized items

[New] Program now shows which folders are scanned

[New] Log now shows how much spaced has been gained

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

[01aug09] PuraRa updated to version 1.4

PureRa 1.4

[Added] Removal of Temp Files

[Added] Removal of WMI Logs

[Removed] Desktop.ini cleaning

[interface] Minor interface changes

[internal] Reworked backend to increase efficiency