Recent forum issue and 3.0.1 news

• Administrator

Our forums had an issue properly clearing old sessions. A patch has been applied which should resolve the issue. The people at Invision Power have informed me that this is set to be fixed in 3.0.1.

If you experience any more issues please let me know and I will investigate.

Edit: 3.0.1 is coming very soon it seems. Hopefully within a week!

People will be able to configure how the View New Content works (see below) and there are also over 130 bug fixes.

We've upgraded to the current development release of 3.0.1 to test out the bug fixes and some minor enhancements.

Due to the overwhelming amount of feedback over the search and view new content systems, we've made the following changes:

- View New Content has two modes, the default is to fetch topics posted in since your last visit (as per 2.3.x) OR based on the topic marking system (as per 3.0.0). The option is in your UserCP under the main Settings tab

- Search (inc. view new content) has two display modes for forum based searches: "View as a forum" (default) shows the results in a familiar forum view. "View as list" uses the new 3.0.0 method.

- Search has extra options to refine your search and the ability to select the results to be sorted by date or relevance asc or desc.

- Efficiency improvements. Both view new content and search have been tweaked to do away with file sorts and temporary tables as much as possible. View new content uses straight indexed joins and the default search method does also.

As always, your comments are welcome. :D

I have some changes planned but they will take at least a week to implement and test thoroughly and we don't want to hold up 3.0.1 any longer than absolutely necessary.

Obviously Matt hasn't listed all the bugs fixed in 3.0.1, which, for the record are:

Our forums had an issue properly clearing old sessions. A patch has been applied which should resolve the issue.

Well, something has been fixed, because I can now log-in again for the first time since last week. In the meantime either the Board had crashed with a fatal "Out of Memory" error or something else had crashed (??PHP daemon??) and empty raw PHP pages were being served instead of readable content.

Due to the overwhelming amount of feedback over the search and view new content systems, we've made the following changes:

- View New Content has two modes, the default is to fetch topics posted in since your last visit (as per 2.3.x) OR based on the topic marking system (as per 3.0.0). The option is in your UserCP under the main Settings tab

What does "topic marking system" mean?

• Administrator

Hope this helps James.

Goes by unread posts rather than visit time.

It's the system used to identify what you have read and what topics contain unread posts.

Yes, it makes some kind of sense, because the post count is steadily going down, although it still is hard to live with and/or not working the way I expect. It seems to flag a post as "new" even if it was posted two years before your last visit, just because you've never actually read the post. Looking forward to 3.0.1 so I can select the old 2.x behaviour.