TeraCopy 2.27

0_0

teracopy_min.png

TeraCopy is a compact program designed to copy and move files at the maximum possible speed, providing the user with a lot of features:

• Copy files faster. TeraCopy uses dynamically adjusted buffers to reduce seek times. Asynchronous copy speeds up file transfer between two physical hard drives.
  • Pause and resume file transfers. Pause copy process at any time to free up system resources and continue with a single click.
  • Error recovery. In case of copy error, TeraCopy will try several times and in the worse case just skip the file, not terminating the entire transfer.
  • Interactive file list. TeraCopy shows failed file transfers and lets you fix the problem and recopy only problem files.
  • Shell integration. TeraCopy can completely replace Explorer copy and move functions, allowing you work with files as usual.
  • Full Unicode support.
  • Windows 8 x64 support.

TeraCopy 2.27

*** Download TeraCopy 2.27.exe

*** Changelog - TeraCopy 2.27

*** TeraCopy Home

Note: TeraCopy is ideal for the user that copies or moves large numbers of files regularly - the rest of us wont see a benefit over Windows Explorer.

Note: Starting with TeraCopy 2.27, the installer now has a portable mode option, select it when given the menu item. See post #4 for initial impressions of portable mode versus extraction method.

TeraCopy Portable : Extraction Method... unnecessary, very easy to do, cleaner than portable mode ( JMO :) ) - 5 minutes or less.

( 1 )... Download the latest version of TeraCopy.

( 2 )... Download & Install Lupo's UniExtractor ( portable tool ) - it will extract the contents of teracopy.exe.

( 3 )... Extract the contents of teracopy.exe. Keepin' it simple - UniExtractor will default to the folder the installer is in, and create a folder named for the installer - teracopy. The leftovers will get deleted in step 6.

Note: It's quicker to move the files we need rather than delete a,b,c,x,y,z files.

( 4 )... Create the TeraCopy folder - we'll move the needed files here in a moment.

( 5 )... Locate the following files ( in {app} ) - some are required, others optional - the rest get deleted later.

Required & Optional files:

• TeraCopy.exe - The TeraCopy program.
  • Portable.txt - The file that portablizes TeraCopy. See Note below.
  • TeraCopy Help.chm - The Help file.
  • Complete.wav & Error.wav - Sound events. Use these, your own, or none.

Note: Remove the extension from Portable.txt - .txt - ( Portable ). Agree to change the file attributes if Windows complains. You can create your own if the file is missing. Open notepad, save file as Portable.txt, remove .txt ( dot and all ), this will create a dummy file with no extension.

Move the Required & Optional files created in step 3 to the TeraCopy folder created in step 4. When a location for TeraCopy Portable is final, create a shortcut to TeraCopy.exe, put the shortcut on the desktop, in the Start menu...!

( 6 )... Delete the folder ( & leftovers ) from the extraction process in step 3 - teracopy - not the folder created in step 4 :)

Done!

It must be Murphy's Law.

Just 10 hours after the above posts and about 6 hours ago at the time of this post, the author has uploaded a new version of the TeraCopy installer which allows you to install unpack a "Portable version". See TeraCopy Portable at the Code Sector Blog.

The installer is a standard Inno setup package, so it should be possible to unpack it with innounp, the Inno Setup Unpacker an open source utility available on Sourceforge. Innounp is a much smaller and simpler utility than the Universal Extractor.

I might try this instead of Total Copy (which hasn't been updated in years).

Does TeraCopy preserve the Creation Date/Time when copying? There is a comment on the blog

Fixed: Copied files now have a correct creation time.

but that's ambiguous as to whether it preserves the CTime or uses the current time (like Windows does) for a copy.

Excellent :) Thanks for the info James - added portable mode option to post #2.

First impressions - C+ for the new portable mode. Finally! What took so long, but....

Unpacks everything, 69 files, 5.7MB, in Add/Remove Programs, writes a bit to the registry - not a deal breaker, not ideal. I figure this is necessary because of the Pro version, the extra files are needed to upgrade...? The extraction method in post #2 - 2MB, 7 files ( including Help & wav files ) - done! FYI, the free version is more than enough for most of us, fully functional, and very useful.

Bottom line, some users will like the new portable mode, others may prefer the extraction method. It's nice to have options, we have 2 now :) Also, Lupo's UniExtractor is an interface for many small utilities including Innounp.

I'm not sure if there's an issue with date/time stamps with files moved using TeraCopy, maybe you can test and report your findings.

I'm interested to know where the extraction method comes from as I can't find it mentioned on the TeraCopy website.

I can't claim the idea as my own. I don't remember where I got the info.

People interested in this utility might also be interested in file hashing/checksum software.

Start a thread and open up the topic for conversation :)

Forgot to mention: The latest TeraCopy installer unpacks 2 Portable files, Portable.txt (a readme essentially) and Portable (no extension). Use Portable (no extension), you don't need to create one. I will update the instructions and remove this comment later.