Thunderbird is a fast, flexible e-mail client. You can quickly search through your e-mails, worry less about spam thanks to the spam filters, and even customize how you view Thunderbird. Thunderbird works with most Firefox add-ons as well, adding more content to your e-mail client. Thunderbird makes the e-mail experience fun again.

Download: Thunderbird 11.0 | Other Systems and Languages

Changes: Release Notes

Homepage: Thunderbird

View the full article

2007 or earlier.

Outlook can't cope with having the Inbox on the Server, it wants another one on the local computer as well.

So, the most common complaint I get is: "Why do I have to have 2 inboxes?"

Also you have to jump through hoops to get a copy of sent emails put on the server instead of just on the local computer.

Thunderbird does that automatically.

• Administrator

Ah. I know Outlook + GMail IMAP is very slow. Looked into it and you have to make several changes to it. I use IMAP with Lunarsoft too and it's super fast. For some reason, GMail's IMAP is a slug.

I can't advise you much on using Outlook with GMail, I'm afraid, our problems are simply down to Outlook's lack of co-operation on using IMAP in general. We're using standard Postfix or Qmail (Linux-based) IMAP servers.

When I tried out Thunderbird under the same conditions, it just came out so much easier and cleaner.

There's a big difference in handling sent mail with GMail, than for any other IMAP server, because GMail saves them for you. I expect you've already seen the GMail help: