Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Command Failed

krit86lr

I posted this on the CCleaner forum as well:

I was resuming Windows from hibernation, and I got a black screen that said

Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Command Failed

Press F1 to Resume

I don't know what this means, but I think that it's really bad. I need my computer to last until August, but I think that this error has something to do with my HD failing. I am going to Google now, but if anyone has some knowledgable suggestions it will be much appreciated. I'm not very good at troubleshooting hardware.

Thanks

:P K

Hate to say this K, but it doesn't sound good.

S.M.A.R.T.

S.M.A.R.T. has the purpose of warning a user or system administrator of impending drive failure while time remains to take preventive action — such as copying the data to a replacement device.

Considering your current HD is only a 20 gigger, you can pick up something 4 times that for $40 or so. I would suggest backing up ASAP and looking into buying a new drive and starting over again.

I think you might set the record for installing Windows the most times in a year!

Hate to say this K, but it doesn't sound good.

S.M.A.R.T.

I did just download some things off of that site. I hope that I downloaded the right things.

Considering your current HD is only a 20 gigger, you can pick up something 4 times that for $40 or so.  I would suggest backing up ASAP and looking into buying a new drive and starting over again.

I was hoping that I could at least wait until the semester was over. But it sounds as though I don't have that long. :P I will backup tonight.

I think you might set the record for installing Windows the most times in a year!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's for darn sure! :) I did a clean install of WinME in Dec(?), and a clean install of WinXP in Jan(?)....I'm over it!

Maybe I will be without a computer for awhile. Finals are creeping up, and I have a new job (2 weeks old) so I'm really busy right now. Plus, I have never installed a HD and I was planning on learning about that this summer when I planned on replacing a lot of things on my computer to make it x64 compatible.

I will miss you all if that's the case. Thanks for the feedback. ;)

Maybe I will be without a computer for awhile.

*Gasp!* I can't even imagine that!! That's almost as bad as being without a microwave!

...and I have a new job (2 weeks old) so I'm really busy right now. 
Yeah, I know the feeling. Don't get me wrong, I love being able to not have to worry about money, but when you work 45-50 hrs a week, you start to realize how much you miss your free time...

Plus, I have never installed a HD and I was planning on learning about that this summer when I planned on replacing a lot of things on my computer to make it x64 compatible.

Installing an HD is as easy as pie! As long as you have the jumper shorting the right pins, all you gotta do is hook up your cables and go! Unless of course, you need to set your mobo to detect a new HD, in which case you have to go into your BIOS and... okay, maybe it can be a little tricky with an older computer. But us Moononites are always ready to share our infinite brilliance! :P

As far as making your comp x64 compatible, you may want to seriously consider just building a brand new computer! I would be more than happy to find you compatible parts on Newegg.com that would fit your budget, and then you could just buy the parts and build it yourself!

I will miss you all if that's the case.  Thanks for the feedback.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And no doubt you'll be missed back. Keep up the posting as long as you can! ;)