Startup items

unclebobee

Running WinXP Pro for quite some time. Lately when it starts up (after desktop loads) I have a box come up right in the middle of the desktop, that saye "insert disk in A drive" with options to retry, cancel etc. If I cancel or close the box, it goes away. Sometimes I have to close it twice. Also a MS box comed up that says "install" and at first it would just stay there for approx. 45-50 seconds and the blink a couple of times. I think it was Diskeeper and so I deleted Diskeeper and now it comes on for approx. 10-12 seconds (blinking fast) then goes away. Anybody got any ideas. I have run all kinds of reg repair programs and defragers, but still there. Thanks for the help !!

It might be trying to install something on startup; if the website is up (I don't know if it is) you can check out Startup Control Panel, or go to www.mlin.net and download it. Then write down the entries and let us see what it is.

To fix the Windows Installer problem, you'll need MSICUU2 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301) and know exactly which package on your system to remove (usually the titlebar of the window tells you the package name). So if you're sure it's Diskeeper, you might find it on the list, which you can remove. This particular Windows Installer problem isn't something that can be fixed via startup managing programs like msconfig or whatever zaphirer recommended.

The A: problem is something else; I don't know :P

Sysinternals Autoruns is a far better startup managing program, imho.

Archived