[NOT YET SUPPORTED] Repair permissions on Vista ?

pihug12

Hello !

I have Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows Live Messenger Beta (8.5).

Two days ago, Microsoft released an update for WLM Beta by Windows Update. I can't install it, there is error 57A.

I searched on the web, and I saw I can see the log of the error in C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp ; the file must be called MSIxxxxx.LOG.

Erreur 1402. Impossible d’ouvrir la clé HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\UIPlugins\{0776F107-F5A6-404B-9A78-7027FA6EAADD}. Erreur système 5. Vérifiez que vous disposez des droits d’accès nécessaires pour cette clé ou contactez votre service de support technique.

=== Fin de l’écriture dans le journal : 23/06/2007 18:01:30 ===

I tried to go on this key with regedit but the access is refused : "Unable to UIPlugins".

So I got repair permissions package.

I had an error, the log are in C:\Windows\security\logs.

Erreur 8: Espace insuffisant pour traiter cette commande.

Erreurs survenues.

Error 8: Insufficient space to treat this order.

I have 5Go left, it's not enough ?

Where is the problem ?

pihug12 :hello:

Error 1402. Cannot open the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\UIPlugins\{0776F107-F5A6-404B-9A78-7027FA6EAADD}. System error 5. Check you dispose the rights for this key or contact the technical support.

=== End of the writing of the log : 23/06/2007 18:01:30 ===

Error 8: Insufficient space to treat this order.

Errors happened

My English is bad. I hope you understand. :hello:

My question is : must I have more than 5Go left to repair permissions ?

With Windows XP, I did that with less than that.

pihug12 :nyah:

• Administrator

Thank you for the translation, that helps immensely. :hello:

Try and run the repair permissions tool as an administrator, then you should have sufficient privileges.

I run it as an administrator (right click) and it doesn't work.

logsrk3.th.png

secanalyze.log : http://www.mediafire.com/?5sgct1scxyc

secrepair.log : http://www.mediafire.com/?2re9nmmdccm

(sorry, the log are in French but I think you can understand them)

L'analyse [...] s'est terminée correctement. means that is OK.

L'analyse [...] s'est terminée par une ou plusieurs erreurs. means that isn't OK.

UAC is disable, of course.

I think the problem came from "Moteur de configuration de désinitialisation" (I can't translate it, the last word isn't correct) because it's the last line in the log.

Are you sure the repair permissions tool is Vista ready ?

It's not Vista ready. Thanks for reminding me - I have put up a warning on my wiki page.

You shouldn't be having to run such a tool anyway - it's Microsoft's beta program screwing up, not really a whole system-wide permissions problem.

You can try to work around this by changing the permissions for the key it's complaining about, but you should definitely look into the Microsoft Communities newsgroups as there are a lot of bright and helpful folks there:

Here is the main forum for WLM: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg....live.messenger

You will definitely want to stay within the English forums, as that's where the MVPs and MS employees who have the most knowledge about this stuff typically hang out. There may already be a post there covering your issue, or you can post about it yourself. (The error messages are translated but the error codes themselves are universal - they should be able to help you even if your errors are translated from French).

Anyway, you could open regedit to this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\UIPlugins\{0776F107-F5A6-404B-9A78-7027FA6EAADD}

and right-click it (Permissions) and then try to give yourself full control over the key and try installing again. This may not work (I don't use WLM myself, especially not betas) so the above newsgroup should be able to get you sorted.

Good luck!

Hello !

I already tried to change the permissions of this key (see my first post).

regqv9.th.png

Impossible to open UIPlugins.

An error prevents the opening of this key.

Details: Refused access.

I think if I ask my problem on Microsoft forums, they will answer me : repair permissions or format your computer (reinstall Windows).

Will a Vista ready version of repair permissions package be released soon ?

Hello !

My computer goes more and more badly.

I cannot deinstall QuickTime, cannot install K-Lite Codec Pack...

I think that more than this key is bad.

Please find a solution before I can do nothing !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I upgraded to XP from Vista if that tells you anything. Yeah, "upgraded". God Vista makes me angry now.

Anyway, yeah, it will be a long time before I ever get to something like repair permissions for Vista, although I did notice that Vista has the same INF available that XP has, but I've never tested its usefulness.

Did you post at Microsoft's newsgroups?

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Uninstall and then reinstall WLM, as it may resolve the issue. Since WLM is beta software right now there are no guarantees.

I see no one replied to your post on the Microsoft Newsgroups, so bump your post there and get it noticed.

• 3 weeks later...

Since two days, I MUST update WLM to use it (otherwise I can't log in).

I can't uninstall WLM and I can't update it, so I can't use this software. :cool:

Nobody answer me on the Microsoft Newsgroups.

I can access to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer but not his subkeys.

Please, what's up with repair permissions tool ?!?

pihug12 :cool:

[EDIT : new post in Windows Vista section.]

• 9 months later...

I had to repair manually about a hundred keys to install the SP1 of Office 2007 !

I think my system is going worse and worse...

Please find a new team of developers that can build a repair permissions package for Vista or I switch back to XP SP3 the next I have this kind of problem.

Thank you !

pihug12 :)

[PS : Good luck DjLizard for your new life !]

Archived