Major trouble installing Windows Downloads

Old Bear

I am running XP Pro. I have a fairly new computer. 2meg of ram.

I have tried all manner of fixes suggested by other forums. Today I tried Dial-a-Fix with no luck. Attempted to use it a number of time.

I did run HDtune, and check system health. I could not figure out how to use the memory check at www.memtest.org. The site was pretty confusing and I am not a computer guru by any stretch.

What I did find MSI will always return the following message: "Insufficient Resources Exist to Complete the Requested Services". I tried running Dial-a-Fix even in Safe Mode. No difference.

I had been attempting to install a cumulative update (KB939653) and an XP update (KB927891) but those all went away after running Dial-a-Fix.

Now it's trying to install Windows Installer with no success. I also note that the checked box on the Windows Uptade dialog box is grayed out.

Sure would love some help with this mess!

Thanks

Old Bear

I highly doubt that you have 2 megabyte of RAM. :cool:

What you probably mean is that you have 2 gigabyte of RAM.

Did I mention that I know very, very little about computers and what I do know I have learned by lots of trial and error, more error and lots of trials! dizzy.png

I got two modules on the motherboard I know that much. Also I'm running an Athlon Dual core processor if that helps any.

Old Bear

Did I mention that I know very, very little about computers and what I do know I have learned by lots of trial and error, more error and lots of trials! dizzy.png

I got two modules on the motherboard I know that much. Also I'm running an Athlon Dual core processor if that helps any.

Old Bear

Trial-and-error is how I learned computers too. I learned it myself when I was kid when I got the computer, and I am still learning...

Trial-and-error is great way to learn, you explore stuff, find out new stuff, try out new stuff, when something goes wrong, you try to figure out why it went wrong, how to fix it, and how to prevent it in the future. Every time you run into trouble, you have to fix it, and when you do, you learn.

So you have an AMD Athlon X2 dual-core processor on your motherboard that has 2x RAM modules. They're probably 1 gb each.

The RAM (Random access memory) modules on your motherboard are of type DDR2 RAM (Double-Data Rate 2).

Experimentation is a great way to learn computers. Reading is another way to learn.

Old Bear

Trial-and-error is how I learned computers too. I learned it myself when I was kid when I got the computer, and I am still learning...

Trial-and-error is great way to learn, you explore stuff, find out new stuff, try out new stuff, when something goes wrong, you try to figure out why it went wrong, how to fix it, and how to prevent it in the future. Every time you run into trouble, you have to fix it, and when you do, you learn.

So you have an AMD Athlon X2 dual-core processor on your motherboard that has 2x RAM modules. They're probably 1 gb each.

The RAM (Random access memory) modules on your motherboard are of type DDR2 RAM (Double-Data Rate 2).

Experimentation is a great way to learn computers. Reading is another way to learn.

I just tried a few things and ran Dial-a-Fix again and got the following screen shot to share, please see attachment.

Sometimes learning is a pain. We live a subsistence lifestyle here which means going for firewood, hunting, fishing, is really not too optional if your on a limited budget. We are right in the middle of all this neat stuff and going into a steep learning curve with my computer is pretty unhandy right now. So I sure appreciate whatever help comes my way to ease the schooling a bit!

Thanks

Old Bear

ScreenshotX.doc

Thought I would try attaching my screen shot again -

I feel like I have exhausted all means of getting this problem resolved and am desperate for help. Microsoft (bless their hearts) has bumped me to the next higher level of support but won't be hearing from them for at least a few days.

I attempted to send the screen shot directly to dial-a-fix@jlizard.net it came back undeliverable.

I have searched this site and others and the net - tried most of the suggestions and so far have only succeed in making the problem no better at best and likely worse than it was to begin with.

Right now I cannot install Windows Installer at all. Not in Safe mode or normal.

Please Help.

Thanks

Old Bear

ScreenshotX.doc

• Administrator

Can you please post your screenshot as a jpg. When you do an Alt Printscreen, open MSPaint and paste the image inside there. Then Save As..., select .JPG and upload it. :cool:

Start by performing an extensive DFT on your hard drive: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

All of the information on how to use this program is there at that link. Make the disk, boot to it, and perform the longest test that it has (probably "extensive" or whatever). If your hard drive passes all tests without even a single error, then boot back into Windows and run chkdsk:

Start > Run > chkdsk C: /F

Answer 'Y' when it asks if you want to schedule it in the next restart. Then restart the computer. If chkdsk does not run, try Start > Run > cmd /k fsutil dirty set C: which should set the "dirty" flag (then restart again).

After chkdsk, try Dial-a-fix again. If it still errors, delete system32\dllcache\qmgr.dll and then system32\qmgr.dll. This will prompt you for your XP CD and it will reinstall that file. Then try Dial-a-fix one more time.

Archived