no progress bar at windows update

dhac

No little green progress bars showup while waiting to check for windows update. Tried Dial-a-fix (V0.60.0.24) to no avail.

Had a simular problem sometime back, which I beieve was corrected (indirectly) because of a malware/virus problem I was having. This after I sent a high-jack this report to someone. I did a xp,sp2 reinstall (repair/not a clean install) and after that when I checked for updates there were 82 that needed to be downloaded & installed, which I did. However, there still was no green progress bars this time either. Using Win XP home withSP2, IE-7. Any help greatly appreciated.

dhac

• Administrator

You could run Dial-a-fix and have it try to repair Windows Update. If this fails, since you mention BITS having issues; attempt to reinstall BITS by going into the Tools menu.

• 3 weeks later...

Help:

Using dial-a-fix in trying to get the update progress bars to work, I see it suggest flushing the software distribution folder. I'm not sure if I understand the explanation provided. Is it safe or okay to proceed and flush the SD folders? None of the other selections I have tried worked..

Don

When you flush the software distribution folders, the question is whether you want to keep your update history or not. Some people wanted it, so I let you keep it if you want. I would say that if you don't know what it is or don't care, don't keep the history (answer No). When you visit Windows Update the next time, it might take a while before anything happens as it is rebuilding the SoftwareDistribution setup (you'll get the green progress bar).

Archived