secedit.exe

Billy

After thoroughly cleaning my computer (XP home) . Now want to download updates including Service pack2, which won't download. Used Dial a fix version V.0.60.024 fix. Error x80070005 appeared. Requesting that I use secedit.exe for XP. When I ran this fix I received the message cannot open fix. secedit.chm.

Please assist.

Inside Dial-a-fix.

I did find the Permissions Granted in Dial-a-fix and after clicking on the hammer, the program did restore my automatic updates capability. I have just finished catching up on the many downloads that I have missed. Before I make a contribution to your excellent forum I have one more question:

Do you believe that with this update restoration (thanks to Dial-a-fix) that I can now install SP2 which got through about 30 percent of the download before stopping with the error "unable to install"? OR do I need to install any more repair devices that will allow me to download this important service package?

You may want to repair Cryptography for good measure. It won't harm anything if it's not broke, but if it is, it will help you install SP2.

Checkmark "Fix SSL/HTTPS/Cryptsvc" (which is section 4) and click GO. After Dial-a-fix finishes processing, go ahead with SP2.

You may be able to, it depends on what kind of error(s) you had.

Thanks to your directions and Dial-a-Fix I was finally able to download SP2. Your help has been greatly appreciated. Am forwarding a donation thru PayPal.

Archived