Pidgin 2.4.0

• Administrator

Pidgin (formerly Gaim) is a multi-protocol instant messaging (IM) client for Linux, BSD, MacOS X, and Windows. It is compatible with AIM and ICQ (Oscar protocol), MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, SILC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, Lotus Sametime, and Zephyr networks. Gaim users can log in to multiple accounts on multiple IM networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on AOL Instant Messenger, talking to a friend on Yahoo Messenger, and sitting in an IRC channel all at the same time.

Pidgin supports many features of the various networks, such as file transfer, away messages, and typing notification. It also goes beyond that and provides many unique features. A few popular features are Buddy Pounces, which give the ability to notify you, send a message, play a sound, or run a program when a specific buddy goes away, signs online, or returns from idle; and plugins, consisting of text replacement, a buddy ticker, extended message notification, iconify on away, spell checking, tabbed conversations, and more. Pidgin runs on a number of platforms, including Windows, Linux, and Qtopia (Sharp Zaurus and iPaq).

Changes

:

libpurple:

• Added support for offline messages for AIM accounts (thanks to Matthew Goldstein).
  • Fixed various problems with loss of status messages when going or returning from idle on MySpaceIM.
  • Eliminated unmaintained Howl backend implementation for the Bonjour protocol. Avahi (or Apple's Bonjour runtime on win32) is now required to use Bonjour.
  • Partial support for viewing ICQ status notes (Collin from ComBOTS GmbH).
  • Support for /notice on IRC.
  • Support for Yahoo! Messenger 7.0+ file transfer method (Thanumalayan S.).
  • Support for retrieving full names and addresses from the address book on Yahoo! Japan (Yusuke Odate).
  • The AIM/ICQ server-side preference for "allow others to see me as idle" is no longer unconditionally set to "yes" even when your libpurple preference is "no.".
  • Fix SSL certificate checks for renewed certificates.
  • Fix the ability to set vCard buddy icons on Google Talk/XMPP.
  • D-Bus fixes on 64bit.
  • Fixed retrieval of buddy icons and setting of server-side aliases on Yahoo! and Yahoo! Japan when using an HTTP proxy server (Gideon N. Guillen).
  • Fixed an MSN bug that would leave you appearing offline when transferred to different server.

Pidgin:

• Input text area in conversation windows auto-resizes to fit more lines (up to a maximum of 4 lines)
  • Added the ability to theme conversation name colors (red and blue) through your GTK+ theme, and exposed those theme settings to the Pidgin GTK+ Theme Control plugin (Dustin Howett)
  • Fixed having multiple alias edit areas in the infopane (Elliott Sales de Andrade)
  • Save the conversation "Enable Logging" option per-contact (Moos Heintzen)
  • Typing notifications are now shown in the conversation area

Finch:

• Color is used in the buddylist to indicate status, and the conversation window to indicate various message attributes. Look at the sample gntrc file in the man page for details.
  • The default keybinding for dump-screen is now M-D and uses a file request dialog. M-d will properly delete-forward-word, and M-f has been fixed to imitate readline's behavior.
  • New bindings alt+tab and alt+shift+tab to help navigating between the higlighted windows (details on the man page).
  • Recently signed on (or off) buddies blink in the buddy list.
  • New action 'Room List' in the action list can be used to get the list of available chat rooms for an online account.
  • The 'Grouping' plugin can be used for alternate grouping in the buddylist. The current options are 'Group Online/Offline' and 'No Group'.
  • Added a log viewer
  • Added the ability to block/unblock buddies - see the buddy context menu and the menu for the buddy list.
  • Fixed a bug preventing finch working on x86_64

Download: Pidgin 2.4.0

Homepage: Pidgin.im

Link: Lunarsoft Frontpage

• Administrator

I used to use an old version of AIM but kept my Windows Live Messenger up to date. After a while I got tired of running both programs and tried some other software.

I used Trillian for a while but didn't like how they had the Pro version with all features yet you had to pay. Another big deterrence was their next version of Trillian which has taken years to get out there. I had to look it up just now to remember the name, Trillian Astra. I can understand taking a few months for a release but they've taken years.

After I got fed up with Trillians odd bugs and how they were treating Astra, I switched to Pidgin and have been using it since. It too has some of the oddest bugs, but nothing that really cripples or severely slows my usage. The biggest annoyance I have related to Pidgin is how slow MSN/WLM file transfers are (under 10KB/s, yet on the oscar/ICQ protocols for AIM I can transfer files at 200KB/s+)