can't bootup xp home edition on C drive

bloggo3

i uninstalled a few items early this morning and was rushing and not paying proper attention.

a box i have never seen before appeared.it mentioned Z:\ on the top line and below that some suggested commands to enter. something like svr system ( these may not be quite correct) anyway i entered the suggestions and it rejected them, so i just closed the box and went to bed.

when i tried to start up my computer again it wouldn't boot up. i reckon that i have directed whatever process starts the computer up towards a non existent Z drive instead of drive C.

luckily i had partitioned my hard drive and was able to install windows on the D partition. i tried all day to sort out the problem using XP RECOVERY CONSOLE on the installation disc but have only succeeded in adding another 3 entries to my set up list. i really want to avoid a reinstall on the C drive (if indeed such a thing is possible)

any help would be gratefully and greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Lunarsoft!

When you attempted to boot into Windows, what error message did you receive?

we apologise for the inconvenience but windows did not start successfully.a recent software or hardware change may be responsible.please use 'try the last known good configuration'.

when i try that the microsoft windows xp logo with the curser running from left to right appears. it keeps going for a while and then just as you would expect windows to start up the screen goes blank. the same thing happens if i try to "start windows normally"

Welcome to Lunarsoft!

When you attempted to boot into Windows, what error message did you receive?

we apologise for the inconvenience but windows did not start successfully.a recent software or hardware change may be responsible.please use 'try the last known good configuration'.

when i try that the microsoft windows xp logo with the curser running from left to right appears. it keeps going for a while and then just as you would expect windows to start up the screen goes blank. the same thing happens if i try to "start windows normally"

Did you attempt to boot into Safe Mode?

when i boot into safe mode it leads to a screen that says"select the operating system you wish to start" if i select "C" then i get a drop down screen very quickly. below this a message says "loading A347 bus sys" . AFTER A SHORT WHILE THE MESSAGE DISAPPEARS AND NOTHING ELSE HAPPENS. THE DROP DOWN REMAINS. sorry 'bout the accid. caps.

thanks for your help.

Did you attempt to boot into Safe Mode?

when i boot into safe mode it leads to a screen that says"select the operating system you wish to start" if i select "C" then i get a drop down screen very quickly. below this a message says "loading A347 bus sys" . AFTER A SHORT WHILE THE MESSAGE DISAPPEARS AND NOTHING ELSE HAPPENS. THE DROP DOWN REMAINS. sorry 'bout the accid. caps.

thanks for your help.

good news .i have sorted out the problem.it was a corrupted system file in windows\system 32\config

thanks for the help.

Archived