Windows Update issues

Dognos

Among the other issues I am still trying to deal with on my computer, I have ran Belarc Advisor and it states that I am missing Microsoft security hotfixes among other things. When I try to go to install through Microsoft Update, this is the response I receive:

Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.

If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on Automatic Updates:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:

* Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.

* Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.

3. Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned off.

I have IE7 in my computer but not functioning. I am getting more and more frustrated with this whole computer and why they have to make it so complicated to maintain. I cannot for the life of me figure out what has happened to my computer to be so messed up. Thank goodness I have Mozilla Firefox as my browser--works wonderfully.

Thank you for any advice and website addresses that may direct me to fixing this thing.

• Administrator

In Internet Explorer's address bar, enter the following:

java script:navigator.userAgent

Make sure javascript is all one word!

Copy the entire string and paste it as a reply. :wave:

Also, are you using a firewall?

I made sure to turn off the firewall and then I typed in the 4 words that showed:

and got nothing but a box that came up telling me the following:

Windows cannot find "java script:navigator.userAgent." Check the spelling and try again.

Was there more to the code because what is listed above is all that came across and I tried it with the word code in front of it after it failed the first time.

Thank you again in advance for any assistance you can give me.

In Internet Explorer's address bar, enter the following:

Copy the entire string and paste it as a reply. :wave:

Also, are you using a firewall?

• Administrator

Here's what my user agent looks like:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Warning: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

Back up and then delete the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform

To back up and then delete the registry key, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
  3. Locate, and then click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\Post Platform

4. On the File menu, click Export.
  5. In the File name box, type Post Platform, and then click Save.
  6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  7. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the deletion.
  8. Quit Registry Editor.
  9. If this does not resolve the problem, double-click the Post Platform.reg file that you saved in step 5 to import this key back into the registry.

Edit: Make sure javascript is one word.

Can XP registry files be backed up?

How do I do it? I have done some reading and I get both "yes you can" and "no you can't," I obviously need to know how to and do it before I go any further with your suggestions. (At this time, my computer is not protected. It seems that all protection is going on this computer because of whatever the problem is and not being able to access Windows Update in any form or fashion is the biggest problem.)

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Thank you Tarun for your continued assistance.

I did do just as you said, (please accept my apology for being so stressed out that I read but did not ingest the directions for backup as you had sent me.)

I deleted the said registry file and closed out the Registry Editor as well as rebooting my computer. I assume what I did was for the Update site. I still have no access to the update site at all. I did put in the address field the response you had sent me (javascript, etc.) and I received the following response: Pop up box that states-Internet Explorer cannont download. Unspecified error.

I have retrieved and reloaded the registry file back in since you said if it did not take care of what it was to do. When I look at the information for that key it states the following:

Name Type Data

Default REG SZ value not set

I am sorry to be such a pain. I am so frustrated by this whole thing. What next?!?

Thank you again.

• Administrator

No need to apologize, we've all been through a stressful event relating to our computers at some point in time. :wave:

Have a look at this page. It should be very helpful for resetting your user agent strings. You would want the Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP.

I did as you suggested Tarun using the one that is for "IE7 on your current OS." I clicked on that and downloaded it as instructed. I am not sure what I am now looking for. I am getting more and more confused and frustrated with this. I tried to read the information I had found about understanding User Agent Strings. I find myself half understanding and half thinking I do not understand it at all. How can I get the updates working again. I see that I have a few important ones and one critical one that need to be downloaded.

All I can say right now is God give me the strength. I wish I could afford to have a computer person come and remedy this all but that is not in the cards. C'est le vie!

Thank you again.

No need to apologize, we've all been through a stressful event relating to our computers at some point in time. :wave:

Have a look at this page. It should be very helpful for resetting your user agent strings. You would want the Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP.

• Administrator

In the meantime you could use Automatic Updates or an alternative method.

What that page has you do is run the registry file that you downloaded. It will give you a prompt and you click Yes to merge the reg file data into your registry.

I did indeed download the proper page and followed the prompt that asked if I wanted it to be merged to the reg files. I am not sure where it is within them (I sure wish I understood the inner workings of computers) I am not sure what it was to do for and to the system in the end and tried to read about it but after a bit, it was like Greek to me in some ways.

I have Automatic Updates set but have not seen any action from it at all as though it is not functioning for some reason. I do not know any alternative methods at this point. Am I have fun yet!?!

Thank you Tarun for your suggestions and assistance.

In the meantime you could use Automatic Updates or an alternative method.

What that page has you do is run the registry file that you downloaded. It will give you a prompt and you click Yes to merge the reg file data into your registry.

• Administrator

What it does is help to reset your user agent. Is Windows Update still giving you the error page? (You may also want to try Dial-a-fix)

Archived