Firefox 1.5 Beta 1

Tarun

• Administrator

Firefox 1.5 Beta 1 is now available for download. This is the first Beta release of the next generation Firefox browser, to be released later this year, and it is being made available to the developer and testing community for compatibility testing and to solicit feedback.

Note: This is not the final release of the Web browser, it has been made available for testing purposes only, with no end-user support. If that sounds scary, you'd probably be better off with the latest version of Firefox 1.0.

Download: Firefox 1.5 Beta 1 (Windows)

Firefox 1.5 Beta 1 is now available for download. This is the first Beta release of the next generation Firefox browser, to be released later this year, and it is being made available to the developer and testing community for compatibility testing and to solicit feedback.

Note: This is not the final release of the Web browser, it has been made available for testing purposes only, with no end-user support. If that sounds scary, you'd probably be better off with the latest version of Firefox 1.0.

From forum posts I've seen, I get the impression that a lot of less-advanced users are going to install it anyway. People who don't even know what a beta is are asking if they should update to it. I try to warn them off when I see those kinds of posts, but I'm sure there are plenty of others who are just just charging ahead and installing it, without knowing what they're doing. Anticipation has been building for this for so long...

I hope it was fairly well debugged in alpha testing, or this is gonna be a huge mess. :D

Giving 1.5 Beta a try, installed in a separate folder so I still have 1.0.6, too.

I'd encountered different opinions about whether you had to use a different profile with 1.5 or not, so I tried it with my old profile. It worked, and the profile still works with 1.0.6, too, despite warnings I'd heard.

I did run into some glitches when running 1.5 with the old profile that don't occur with a new profile, so I've decided a new profile is the way to go.

Now I'm really gettin' geeky!

I just installed the latest nightly Branch build of 1.5 Beta 1. The build I was using didn't have the security patch for the IDN buffer overflow vulnerability like 1.0.7 (which I also installed, in place of 1.0.6). So I was actually less secure using the Beta, and I couldn't have that.

And, if you disable IDN support, which was the temporary fix used in 1.0.6, it opens up another vulnerability that only affects 1.5 Beta 1. So paranoia dictated the Branch build, hope it's not too buggy.

<edit> Been running it for two days, and this nightly build seems totally stable, and less buggy than the previous build I ran. Of course, that's as it should be, it's that much closer to the release version.

Tried out the new update system, which downloads a patch (instead of a whole new version) to update to the latest version. Just a small download, click "Restart Now", When it restarts it's up-to-date.

Very easy. Of course, I have a nightly build that I hadn't updated for 3 days, so I had to do it 3 times to get current. Didn't take that long, anyway.