Commandline support

jgurtz

I feel this program would be much more useful if it could be run with comprehensive commandline arguments. For example:

javara -u //Check for and update jre to latest version

javara -p //Purge useless files

javara -r //Remove old versions of Java

javara -l //List all currently installed jre versions

javara -t //Tell me what you would do but don't actually do it (test run other command line options)

I'm sure there could be other options but that's a basic idea. I could possibly help to add this support if it's c++, c#, java, or vb and source is made available.

The end idea is to have javara in local path on all network machines and invoke via psexec on a monthly basis or so. I looked for this type of feature but didn't see anything in readme and javara -? or /? is useless.

JavaRa.exe -runsilent

That is the only command line option right now. I can add more though - the silent purge option would be fairly easy to implement.

Updating the JRE from the command line would only work if you ran jucheck.exe, because the other way (downloading and installing the JRE manually) requires a user to interact with the program. Not so great if you're pushing the software out over a bunch of systems.

As to open-source, I am considering doing it when I go to college. That will be in August of 2008, and I will no longer have time to maintain JavaRa. Right now I am not going to open-source it, but if the demand gets great enough, I might reconsider.

It should be --runsilent not -runsilent by convention.

Flags have one dash and one character, e.g -f or -g, while words are preceded by two dashes, e.g. --foo or --bar.

Also, many software have the parameter;

--version

--help

It should be --runsilent not -runsilent by convention.

Flags have one dash and one character, e.g -f or -g, while words are preceded with by dashes, e.g. --foo or --bar.

Also, many software have the parameter;

--version

--help

Fixed. Thanks for pointing this out.

Archived