Hello and HELP!

lput

I admit I'm not a power user, but I thought I could fix my laptop. It wasn't installing Windows updates. So I went to the MS web site and read about Dial a fix. I didn't check available disk space before I ran it, but about a month ago I ran a disk defrag and had plenty of disk space (18 GB disk).

After I ran DAF, I got a warning about running out of disk space. Sure enough, there's only 400 MB left on my disk. Can someone tell me what to do now?

Thanks,

lput

• Administrator

Welcome to Lunarsoft, lput. You may want to run CCleaner. It can be helpful to clean up your computer. Simply click this link to download and install CCleaner.

You can also click on Start, Run and enter this code into the run box:

%SystemRoot%\system32\cleanmgr.exe

It will run the built in Windows cleanup manager program to help you clean some other areas in your computer. I do not recommend allowing the compression to run however.

Thanks for replying. I've already run a bunch of cleaning utilities. I also just ran the 2 you mentioned and still there's only 2% of my hard disk available (not even enough to run defrag). Would DAF have created some system copy before it ran? It's like there's something big on my disk and not viewable in Explorer (hidden). I've been through all of the files and can't see anything that's very different than a month ago.

Am I going to have to have my hard drive rebuilt (again, just did it last year and cost me $200)?

Sorry to put you through my problems. I don't know who else to ask?

lput

I admit I'm not a power user, but I thought I could fix my laptop. It wasn't installing Windows updates. So I went to the MS web site and read about Dial a fix. I didn't check available disk space before I ran it, but about a month ago I ran a disk defrag and had plenty of disk space (18 GB disk).

After I ran DAF, I got a warning about running out of disk space. Sure enough, there's only 400 MB left on my disk. Can someone tell me what to do now?

Thanks,

lput

• 1 month later...

Thanks,

lput

DAF would not cause that problem it simply reverts XP settings back to normal. If over a short period of time you lose a lot of space , then look for a utility that came pre-loaded on your system that makes image backups in a hidden directory, I know some toshiba's do that and also leveno's. there is a special key to hit to access the area and stop the backup imaging and recover your lost space. Google: Leveno or Toshiba if that is your laptop brand with the words, hidden backups.

Regards Caveman