Outpost Firewall and SPOOLSV

TexasFilly

Tarun? You use this, so please tell me.....when it does ask for rules then how do I know which rules to click on? I mean, is there a way that I can check on google or somewhere to find out what it's asking and then figure it out. Like had UPD or something and I had no idea whether I wanted that to even be on here.

Did I totally confuse you, or do you know what I'm asking? I'm sorry the page isn't up right now and usually there is no one on when I get these things.

Thanks

Ooops, well I put the REPLY somewhere, it's lost in cyberspace, but, yes, sorry, that's the program, Outpost. I downloaded them both the same day, so I got confused. Anyway, like in the attachment below (I already have taken care of this one) then how do I know what rules to apply if I don't know what the protocol is (in this case, UDP) and what it's trying to let thru. I mean if it said LUNARSOFT then I'd know what to do with that. Now do you see?

Thanks

Doc1.doc

Well I've not had anymore pop ups, that one was solved and I was just asking what to do if they pop up again. Also what's really strange is that the ONLY thing that is running correctly on my internet right now is LUNARSOFT, and only in IE, nothing else will run. I left for a couple of hours and now it's like someone poured molasses in my CPU :hello:

• Administrator

It's not Outpost that's the problem, and it's very easy to unblock applications as well.

TexasFilly, have you scanned for viruses with the latest defs and checked for malware recently?

I've like to know where that Spoolsv.exe is located.

• Administrator

*frowning*  I just wanted to learn something new.  And you said this would use less resources.  Ok *sniffles*

You don't need to uninstall it because that's not the problem.

If Outpost is blocking something important, it can be removed and Internet access will get fixed. Uninstalling something is not a solution,, it (like formatting) should be a last resort.

You can also post a list or screenshot of your Program List for Outpost. :hello:

You don't need to uninstall it because that's not the problem.

If Outpost is blocking something important, it can be removed and Internet access will get fixed.  Uninstalling something is not a solution,, it (like formatting) should be a last resort.

You can also post a list or screenshot of your Program List for Outpost.  :hello:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok, BRB I have to run one more application

• Administrator

If it is indeed a virus (it can be at least three) then there is information about each.

BackDoor.CIADoor.B

VBS.Masscal.Worm

Hacktool.Privshell

You can also check your Task Manager (or use Autoruns which is made by a computer guru) for any weird processes. The spoolsv.exe file is located in the c:\windows\System32 folder. In other cases, spoolsv.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm. Post a HijackThis Log and if you see any suspicious files listed, you can upload them to Jotti; an online virus scanner.

Yes I've looked for those things because that's what I read about it too. Being a virus and all. Here is a screen shot of my windows\System32 folder and no spooler there. I'm going to look at these sites that you posted while I wait for your post.

But this is what I've done so far....

Oh Btw I've not gotten more Ram because I spent a bunch of money on Christmas presents, but I've put most everything in my other HD's.

Tried to update windows. (said I didn't have anything to update) and have run a disk clean up and disk defrag.

I've tried to update (none of them had any updates) and ran the following:

lavasoft (found 5 critical, cleaned them)

ewido security suite (found 2 things and cleaned them)

cwshredder.exe

spybot

spyblaster

Hijackthis

Ccleaner

Then I rebooted and still running awful, it was fine this afternoon.

• Administrator

Please post a screenshot of your application list for Outpost.

Also, spoolsv.exe will be in your system32 directory (nowhere else). It'll be about 56.5 KB (57,856 bytes).

Please post a screenshot of your application list for Outpost.

Also, spoolsv.exe will be in your system32 directory (nowhere else).  It'll be about 56.5 KB (57,856 bytes).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry forgot to give you that one screen shot. Tarun, my brain is in overload, smoke is coming out of my ears.... I'm getting confused. Sorry, Where is my application list for the Outpost? And you want me to post my hijackthis log after I've downloaded it to another application on another web site first? Sorry.

post-41-1133920149_thumb.jpg

• Administrator

For spoolsv.exe it'll be in C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe

The application list will be when you open the firewall, click on the My Internet, then it should have to the right "My Applications" or something like that. I'm not at home (at college, final night in class and got an A!) so I don't have my firewall here with me. x.x

CONGRATS TARUN!!!!! Sorry I don't know those emoticons to give you a great big Congrats but you get it!!! I'm proud of ya! :hello:

That was my C:Windows\System32 folder Tarun, there is no spoolsv.exe :(

Was that attachment suppose to come up like that? punch.gif

Looking for the other thing

Uhm, you were in C:\Windows\Drivers\Spool\

Try doing a search for spoolsv.exe and see what turns up.  :hello:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes but that's because there was no spoolsv, but that windows\spool and then drivers, it says C:\Windows\System32 then I scrolled down to the spool folder cuz if you'll look all around it there is no spoolsv. is it not a folder? Anyway, here is my search and guess what? LMAO it's there of course. What's the rest?

post-41-1133926798_thumb.jpg

Well, all of those are clean from what I can see.

You can try unblocking the print spooler and see what happens.  I find it very odd it even asks to connect.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool it's clean :hello: I thought it was really strange too, it seems to be ok, as far as printing and all. I really don't think that's the problem. Maybe EVERYONE and their brother is shopping on the internet. Maybe it's the DSL we're using I dunno. I'll keep on keeping on and start surfin again to see if it gets better. Maybe it was peak hour LOL

Thanks again

Archived