StopForumSpam protection added to the forums

• Administrator

In order to help stop some of the spam registrations here on the forums I have just added and enabled a StopForumSpam hook. This hook will check registrations against the StopForumSpam database, checking key factors such as email addresses and IP addresses. If their IP or email is matched in the StopForumSpam database, this user is automatically banned and cannot use the forums.

If you come across a spammer or even a potential spammer, please don't hesitate to hit the Report button so the Lunarsoft Team can look into it. :)

Edit: Since installing this it's blocked eight spammers within three hours.

.... Since installing this it's blocked eight spammers within three hours.

Wow! Certainly improves upon doing it manually.

StopForumSpam currently have over 3 million records in their spam database.

I wish this had been available last time I modded a board.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Impressive, if slightly worrying, because it implies that reCAPTCHA is pretty broken.

Certainly the audio option was the easiest to break -- until the last fix closed that hole.

reCaptcha has been pretty much worthless against bots since January. It's a problem being encountered on forums and wikis across the internet.

• 6 months later...

Tarun if yo need anymore anti spam scripts for the forum let me know I have a ton of them from when I set up forums and websites, I am assuming IP Board is a PHP forum, which my security scripts are all PHP, just lending a helping hand if needed for this, I have some scripts that have stopped spammers dead in their tracks. I like that you added a protection that does the same, not many forums Admins know how to do this, at least here I can enjoy the forums, spam free.

Vulcan

• Administrator

I appreciate the offer. I'm actually looking into a new one that keeps using StopForumSpam and also checks against ProjectHoneyPot. It's simple to install and made for IP.Board too. :)