Silly Lunarsoft forum search keyword length limitation

I wanted to search for "USB" or "USB performance" and got the highly undesirable message:

"One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords."

So, this means we cannot very common IT terms less than four characters in length or which are on your forbidden list, which is an extremely bizarre restriction. Not very kosher at all, I reckon! Perhaps you've done it for site performance reasons *I can't imagine why else), but nevertheless ...

TIP:

To get around this absurd restriction, you can go to "old faithful" Google and use the "site" prefix, like this: site:lunarsoft.net USB performance

Cheers, Tony Austin

CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services

This is actually a limitation of MySQL, where the minimum default search length is four characters.

Hello Tarun! I didn't really think it was a limitation that Lunarsoft had imposed, and guessed that it was imposed by one orother of the site components,

When you say "minimum default" keyword length, do you mean "minimum" possible and not just the "default" minimum? If it's the former (an absolute minimum) then somebody should be vigorously requesting of MySQL that they change this. ... Of course, it depends on which of the various flavors of MySQL as to whom "they" would be! Oracle, or whom?

• Administrator

It's the default minimum generated in the MySQL configurations. While it can be changed, it's not really worth doing. You have to change the config, restart the MySQL service and then rebuild all of the fulltext parts of the database.